Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
Inverness Volunteer Artillery, 1881

Inverness Volunteer Artillery in Bell's Park, now known as Farraline Park. The building behind them is Dr. Bell's Institution, now in use as Inverness Public Library.

The Volunteer brigades were first created as Independant companies, whose uniforms were almost entirely dependant on the volunteers themselves. In 1861, regulations were published, giving instructions on issues such as the discipline and training of the volunteers, and the companies were sorted into Administrative Battalions. In 1871, they became subject to the Articles of War and the Mutiny Act, after being transferred to the Secretary of State for War. In 1873, command again changed to the Brigade Depots, and for the first time, they were formally aligned with the Regular Army.

After the Army Reforms of 1881, the Volunteer brigades became integral parts of the local regiments. In 1887-1888, they were redesignated as Volunteer Battalions of the parent regiments. The battalions' role was limited to home defense, and they were not compelled to undertake overseas service.

The Volunteer Battalions became the Territorial Force under the Haldane reforms of 1908, and their role was changed to operating, if necessary, as a reserve field force in Europe. This plan was implemented in 1914, when the Territorial Force was assigned to serving in France


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverness Volunteer Artillery, 1881

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1880s

Inverness Volunteer Artillary; Bell's Park; Farraline Park; Dr. Bell's Institution; Inverness Public Library; Volunteer brigades; Administrative Battalions; Articles of War and Mutiny Act; Brigade Depots; Regular Army; home defence; Territorial Force

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

Inverness Volunteer Artillery in Bell's Park, now known as Farraline Park. The building behind them is Dr. Bell's Institution, now in use as Inverness Public Library.<br /> <br /> The Volunteer brigades were first created as Independant companies, whose uniforms were almost entirely dependant on the volunteers themselves. In 1861, regulations were published, giving instructions on issues such as the discipline and training of the volunteers, and the companies were sorted into Administrative Battalions. In 1871, they became subject to the Articles of War and the Mutiny Act, after being transferred to the Secretary of State for War. In 1873, command again changed to the Brigade Depots, and for the first time, they were formally aligned with the Regular Army.<br /> <br /> After the Army Reforms of 1881, the Volunteer brigades became integral parts of the local regiments. In 1887-1888, they were redesignated as Volunteer Battalions of the parent regiments. The battalions' role was limited to home defense, and they were not compelled to undertake overseas service.<br /> <br /> The Volunteer Battalions became the Territorial Force under the Haldane reforms of 1908, and their role was changed to operating, if necessary, as a reserve field force in Europe. This plan was implemented in 1914, when the Territorial Force was assigned to serving in France <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.