Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
MacBrayne's paddle steamer 'Lovedale' at Strome Ferry
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_197
PLACENAME
Strome Ferry
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11268
KEYWORDS
ferries
Caledonian MacBrayne
railways
Mallaig
Portree
Kyle of Lochalsh
Strome Ferry
Crinan Canal
Strome Ferry
Islay
ferry boats
MacBrayne's paddle steamer 'Lovedale' at Strome Ferry

On 13 February 1851 the shipping empire of Messrs G & J Burns sold their fleet of West Highland steamships to a partnership of David Hutcheson, who had been managing them for some time, his brother Alexander, and the Messrs Burns' nephew, David MacBrayne. Their fleet comprised eight ocean-going paddle steamers and two track boats on the Crinan Canal.

After the retiral of the Hutcheson brothers David MacBrayne became sole owner of the fleet in 1878. In the subsequent decade four new ships were built for the fleet and fourteen others were purchased. In 1891 a twin-funnelled, two-masted cross-channel steamer, the 'Great Western', was purchased from the Great Western Railway Company for use on the Portree to Strome Ferry route. After modifications she re-appeared in 1893 as a single-funnelled vessel and renamed 'Lovedale'. After the closure of Strome Ferry pier in 1897 she took up the Portree to Kyle of Lochalsh sailing. In 1901 the 'Lovedale' sailed from Portree, via Kyle, to the new harbour at Mallaig to meet the Glasgow train. In 1903 she took over the Islay routes before being scrapped the following year


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

MacBrayne's paddle steamer 'Lovedale' at Strome Ferry

ROSS: Lochalsh

ferries; Caledonian MacBrayne; railways; Mallaig; Portree; Kyle of Lochalsh; Strome Ferry; Crinan Canal; Strome Ferry; Islay; ferry boats

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

On 13 February 1851 the shipping empire of Messrs G & J Burns sold their fleet of West Highland steamships to a partnership of David Hutcheson, who had been managing them for some time, his brother Alexander, and the Messrs Burns' nephew, David MacBrayne. Their fleet comprised eight ocean-going paddle steamers and two track boats on the Crinan Canal.<br /> <br /> After the retiral of the Hutcheson brothers David MacBrayne became sole owner of the fleet in 1878. In the subsequent decade four new ships were built for the fleet and fourteen others were purchased. In 1891 a twin-funnelled, two-masted cross-channel steamer, the 'Great Western', was purchased from the Great Western Railway Company for use on the Portree to Strome Ferry route. After modifications she re-appeared in 1893 as a single-funnelled vessel and renamed 'Lovedale'. After the closure of Strome Ferry pier in 1897 she took up the Portree to Kyle of Lochalsh sailing. In 1901 the 'Lovedale' sailed from Portree, via Kyle, to the new harbour at Mallaig to meet the Glasgow train. In 1903 she took over the Islay routes before being scrapped the following year <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.<br />