Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Opening of tennis courts, Bishop's Road, Inverness, 1892
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_219
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1892
PERIOD
1890s
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11291
KEYWORDS
Tennis courts
Inverness
Opening of tennis courts, Bishop's Road, Inverness, 1892

The tennis courts at Bishop's Road, Inverness were opened in 1892 by the local MP, Robert Finlay. As reported in the Inverness Courier, 'The courts, which are among the finest in the North, have been laid out in excellent style. The Tennis Club, which has received a large accession of members, deserve to be congratulated upon the success which has attended their efforts in providing such splendidly equipped ash courts'.

Lawn tennis was introduced into Britain in the early 1870s and by the end of the century, tennis courts and clubs had sprung up all over the country, including the Highlands of Scotland. Its growth reflected a national trend in the increase of sports and clubs at this time - people were working relatively less hours and their leisure time was increased. Women also began to participate in more vigorous forms of sport, reflecting a change in their position and expectations.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Opening of tennis courts, Bishop's Road, Inverness, 1892

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1890s

Tennis courts; Inverness

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

The tennis courts at Bishop's Road, Inverness were opened in 1892 by the local MP, Robert Finlay. As reported in the Inverness Courier, 'The courts, which are among the finest in the North, have been laid out in excellent style. The Tennis Club, which has received a large accession of members, deserve to be congratulated upon the success which has attended their efforts in providing such splendidly equipped ash courts'.<br /> <br /> Lawn tennis was introduced into Britain in the early 1870s and by the end of the century, tennis courts and clubs had sprung up all over the country, including the Highlands of Scotland. Its growth reflected a national trend in the increase of sports and clubs at this time - people were working relatively less hours and their leisure time was increased. Women also began to participate in more vigorous forms of sport, reflecting a change in their position and expectations. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.