Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inverness High Street, 1870
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_223
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1870
PERIOD
1870s
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11295
KEYWORDS
Inverness High Street
Inverness High Street, 1870

Inverness High Street, 1870. The building on the right, at the corner of High Street and Castle Street, used to house 'Grant's Tartan & Tweed Warehouse', aimed specifically at the growing tourist trade in the late nineteenth century. Queen Victoria's visit to the town in 1873 greatly influenced tourism in the area.

The Union Hotel and the Caledonian Hotel on Church Street, were the termini for horse-drawn coaches. The Union Hotel (built 1838-9) was purchased in 1870 and became the Highland Club where local businessmen and councillors met until it closed in 1978. Other notable buildings include the Town House (early 18th century); the Caledonian Bank (1847) and the Post Office (situated here from 1844-88, then the Customs House). The first traffic lights in Inverness were erected at the exchange in 1932.

The carved figures on the top of the building represent the Three Virtues - Faith, Hope and Charity. Since 1955 these have been on display at Graemeshall House at Holm, Orkney but it is hoped that they will soon return to Inverness. The building itself has been demolished and has been replaced by a fast food outlet


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverness High Street, 1870

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1870s

Inverness High Street

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

Inverness High Street, 1870. The building on the right, at the corner of High Street and Castle Street, used to house 'Grant's Tartan & Tweed Warehouse', aimed specifically at the growing tourist trade in the late nineteenth century. Queen Victoria's visit to the town in 1873 greatly influenced tourism in the area.<br /> <br /> The Union Hotel and the Caledonian Hotel on Church Street, were the termini for horse-drawn coaches. The Union Hotel (built 1838-9) was purchased in 1870 and became the Highland Club where local businessmen and councillors met until it closed in 1978. Other notable buildings include the Town House (early 18th century); the Caledonian Bank (1847) and the Post Office (situated here from 1844-88, then the Customs House). The first traffic lights in Inverness were erected at the exchange in 1932.<br /> <br /> The carved figures on the top of the building represent the Three Virtues - Faith, Hope and Charity. Since 1955 these have been on display at Graemeshall House at Holm, Orkney but it is hoped that they will soon return to Inverness. The building itself has been demolished and has been replaced by a fast food outlet <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.