Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inverness Royal Academy students, academic year 1877/78
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_341
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1877; 1878
PERIOD
1870s
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11327
KEYWORDS
Inverness Royal Academy
Mr. Samuel Thompson
Old Royal Academy
Academy Street
Inverness
Midmills Road
Grammar School
Dominican Priory
Friar's Street
Inverness Royal Academy students, academic year 1877/78

Inverness Royal Academy students in the academic year 1877/78. English Master, Mr. Samuel Thompson, can be seen in the centre of the photograph.

The Old Royal Academy building on Academy Street was in use as a school until 1895, when the Academy moved to Midmills Road.

The history of the Academy dates back to 1792, when it took over pupils and some of the staff of the town Grammar School. The grammar school, situated since 1668 on the site of the building presently known as the Dunbar Centre, was believed to have originated from an earlier school, developed from the founding of a Dominican Priory in 1223, in the Friar's Street area of Inverness


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverness Royal Academy students, academic year 1877/78

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1870s

Inverness Royal Academy; Mr. Samuel Thompson; Old Royal Academy; Academy Street; Inverness; Midmills Road; Grammar School; Dominican Priory; Friar's Street

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

Inverness Royal Academy students in the academic year 1877/78. English Master, Mr. Samuel Thompson, can be seen in the centre of the photograph.<br /> <br /> The Old Royal Academy building on Academy Street was in use as a school until 1895, when the Academy moved to Midmills Road.<br /> <br /> The history of the Academy dates back to 1792, when it took over pupils and some of the staff of the town Grammar School. The grammar school, situated since 1668 on the site of the building presently known as the Dunbar Centre, was believed to have originated from an earlier school, developed from the founding of a Dominican Priory in 1223, in the Friar's Street area of Inverness <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.