Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
B Company, 1st Volunteer Battalion, The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, 1888
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_350
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1888
PERIOD
1880s
CREATOR
Cook
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11337
KEYWORDS
military uniforms
military
uniforms
wars
armies
army
armed forces
artillery
world wars
1st Voluntary Battalion The Queens Own Cameron Highlanders
Cameron Highlanders
Highland Regiments
zoomable

After the Army Reforms of 1881 the Inverness-shire Rifle Volunteers became part of the 79th Territorial District, and an integral part of The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders. However with the 1st Battalion on Foreign Service in the Mediterranean, and the Regimental Depot at Cameron Barracks not completed until 1886, the integration of the Volunteers into the Regimental structure took time. It was not until 1887 that the battalion was re-designated as 1st Volunteer Battalion Cameron Highlanders.

The dress of the Inverness-shire Rifle Volunteers also varied from the parent regiment for some years. Until 1880 each of the ten companies wore its own tartan, with different forms of Elcho grey tunics. In 1880 however, they standardised their dress, and changed to scarlet doublets with buff facings and the kilt of Government tartan. But the Volunteers received no help from public funds to buy uniforms, and so the battalion could not afford to change the dress that it had just purchased, and it was not until 1893 that it officially adopted the dress of the parent regiment, The Cameron Highlanders.

When this photograph was taken in 1888, the Battalion had its Headquarters in Inverness, and the ten companies were recruited as follows: A, B, C, D Companies from Inverness, E Company Fort William, F Company Kingussie, G Company Beauly, H Company Portree, I Company Ardersier, and K Company Roy Bridge. The photograph shows the Officers and Non-Commissioned Officers of B Company, one of the four companies raised from Inverness.

Under Lord Haldane's Army Reforms of 1908, the Battalion became the 4th (Territorial) Battalion, The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders.

(This information was kindly supplied by the Regimental Museum of The Highlanders, Fort George).


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

B Company, 1st Volunteer Battalion, The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, 1888

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1880s

military uniforms; military; uniforms; wars; armies; army; armed forces; artillery; world wars; 1st Voluntary Battalion The Queens Own Cameron Highlanders; Cameron Highlanders; Highland Regiments; zoomable

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

After the Army Reforms of 1881 the Inverness-shire Rifle Volunteers became part of the 79th Territorial District, and an integral part of The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders. However with the 1st Battalion on Foreign Service in the Mediterranean, and the Regimental Depot at Cameron Barracks not completed until 1886, the integration of the Volunteers into the Regimental structure took time. It was not until 1887 that the battalion was re-designated as 1st Volunteer Battalion Cameron Highlanders. <br /> <br /> The dress of the Inverness-shire Rifle Volunteers also varied from the parent regiment for some years. Until 1880 each of the ten companies wore its own tartan, with different forms of Elcho grey tunics. In 1880 however, they standardised their dress, and changed to scarlet doublets with buff facings and the kilt of Government tartan. But the Volunteers received no help from public funds to buy uniforms, and so the battalion could not afford to change the dress that it had just purchased, and it was not until 1893 that it officially adopted the dress of the parent regiment, The Cameron Highlanders. <br /> <br /> When this photograph was taken in 1888, the Battalion had its Headquarters in Inverness, and the ten companies were recruited as follows: A, B, C, D Companies from Inverness, E Company Fort William, F Company Kingussie, G Company Beauly, H Company Portree, I Company Ardersier, and K Company Roy Bridge. The photograph shows the Officers and Non-Commissioned Officers of B Company, one of the four companies raised from Inverness.<br /> <br /> Under Lord Haldane's Army Reforms of 1908, the Battalion became the 4th (Territorial) Battalion, The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders. <br /> <br /> (This information was kindly supplied by the Regimental Museum of The Highlanders, Fort George). <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.