Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Ferry at Strome Ferry
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_353
PLACENAME
Strome Ferry
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1880s; 1890s
CREATOR
Cook
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11339
KEYWORDS
Stromeferry
ferries
ferryboats
boats
piers(marine landings)
quays
steamers
steamships
ferry boats
Ferry at Strome Ferry

View of Stromeferry pier looking north, towards Loch Carron village. Three boats can be seen at the pier, the funnel indicating the steamer.

The ferry crossed the entrance of Loch Carron to Strome, where it was overlooked by a castle which belonged to the MacDonalds of Glengarry until 1602, when it was destroyed by the Mackenzies of Kintail. The ferry mainly served local people until 1809 when the Highlands Roads and Bridges Commission constructed an access road along the north shore of Loch Carron to link up with the Achnasheen to Inverness route. The road took ten years to complete. During this period mail carriers used to attract the attention of the Strome ferrymen by blowing a horn when they needed to cross.

The arrival of the railway at Stromeferry in the 1880s greatly increased the volume of traffic at the ferry. The steamer 'Great Western', later re-named 'Lovedale' was placed on the Stornoway mail service from Stromeferry during the 1880s-90s, but with the opening of the extension of the Skye Line of the Highland Railway from Stromeferry to Kyle of Lochalsh on 2 November 1897, the latter became the southern terrminus of the mail service to Lewis. The 1940s saw the introduction of a bigger boat capable of carrying six cars.

In the early 1970s the old road along the south-eastern shore of Loch Carron was upgraded so the ferry at Strome was no longer needed.

When the Kyle road was closed by landslides in 2012, however, the ferry at Strome was reinstated briefly for foot passengers, especially school children, saving them a very long daily road journey.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Ferry at Strome Ferry

ROSS: Lochalsh

1880s; 1890s

Stromeferry; ferries; ferryboats; boats; piers(marine landings); quays; steamers; steamships; ferry boats

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

View of Stromeferry pier looking north, towards Loch Carron village. Three boats can be seen at the pier, the funnel indicating the steamer. <br /> <br /> The ferry crossed the entrance of Loch Carron to Strome, where it was overlooked by a castle which belonged to the MacDonalds of Glengarry until 1602, when it was destroyed by the Mackenzies of Kintail. The ferry mainly served local people until 1809 when the Highlands Roads and Bridges Commission constructed an access road along the north shore of Loch Carron to link up with the Achnasheen to Inverness route. The road took ten years to complete. During this period mail carriers used to attract the attention of the Strome ferrymen by blowing a horn when they needed to cross. <br /> <br /> The arrival of the railway at Stromeferry in the 1880s greatly increased the volume of traffic at the ferry. The steamer 'Great Western', later re-named 'Lovedale' was placed on the Stornoway mail service from Stromeferry during the 1880s-90s, but with the opening of the extension of the Skye Line of the Highland Railway from Stromeferry to Kyle of Lochalsh on 2 November 1897, the latter became the southern terrminus of the mail service to Lewis. The 1940s saw the introduction of a bigger boat capable of carrying six cars.<br /> <br /> In the early 1970s the old road along the south-eastern shore of Loch Carron was upgraded so the ferry at Strome was no longer needed.<br /> <br /> When the Kyle road was closed by landslides in 2012, however, the ferry at Strome was reinstated briefly for foot passengers, especially school children, saving them a very long daily road journey. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.