Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
German and Russian Field Guns at Inverness Castle, c1920
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_366
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1910s; 1920s
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11350
KEYWORDS
castles
court houses
Flora Macdonald
statues & monuments
German and Russian Field Guns at Inverness Castle, c1920

On the left of this photograph is a German field gun captured by Cameron Highlanders during World War I; on the right is a Russian cannon captured during the siege of Sebastopol during the Crimean War.

The German gun was captured at the Battle of Loos on 25 September 1915 by 5 Battalion Cameron Highlanders. At the time of writing (2015) it can be seen outside the Clan Cameron Museum at Achnacarry.

The Russian gun is one of a pair which was given to the town in August 1857. Following the Treaty of Paris, Britain’s share of the spoils from the Siege of Sebastopol was brought to the Royal Armoury at Woolwich and from there around 300 were distributed to towns and cities which desired them (the rest were melted down). An application was made on behalf of Inverness by the MP for Inverness-shire, Henry James Baillie, and in August 1857, the barrels of two slightly damaged 45 pound cannons arrived at Thornbush Quay. On this day in 1861, the carriages on which the guns were originally sited were replaced with purpose-built cast-iron carriages that can be seen in this photograph. They were made by the Rose Street Foundry.

In 1941, they were sold to a scrap metal merchant from Elgin for the sum of £25 (about £1200 today (2013)). The following are extracts from Inverness-shire County Council Records:

Chairman's Committee of the Inverness County Council , 12 Dec 1939. (CI/3/1/60 p311)
" CASTLE GROUNDS - GUN; The Committee noted and approved the action taken to secure the position of a gun on the castle grounds, which, by reason of disrepair, had become a menace to the safety of people frequenting the grounds. Noted"

Chairman's Committee of the Inverness County Council , 15 Oct 1940. (CI/3/1/61 p177)
"SCRAP - OLD GUNS AT CASTLE; With regard to the old guns in the castle Grounds the Clerk submitted a report on their history by Mr. Murdoch mackintosh, sheriff-clerk.
It was agreed to recommend that meantime no action be taken for their disposal as scrap but that the field gun captured at Loos by the 5th battalion Cameron Highlanders be transferred inside the building and the other German field piece meantime in the entrance hall to the Court-House transferred to the outside"

Chairman's Committee of the Inverness County Council , 4 March 1941. (CI/3/1/62 p400)
"SCRAP - OLD GUNS AT THE CASTLE; Referring to the minute of 15 Oct 1940, submitted letter of 24 January by the Town Clerk enclosing copy of a letter from the Director of Scrap Supplies, Ministry of Supply, regarding the old guns at the Castle constituting a quantity of potential scrap iron and steel.

Submitted also letter of 15 Feb from the same Department addressed to the County Clerk in similar terms, to which a reply had been sent pointing out that the two old artillery guns are relics of the Crimea war. Submitted further letter of 25 Feb by the Ministry of Supply stating that they do not propose that these two guns should be requisitioned for the national effort meantime.

The Committee resolved to recommend that the guns at the castle be handed over to the Ministry of Supply with the exception of the following;-
a) Field gun captured by the 5th Battalion Q. O. Cameron Highlanders
b) Bronze field piece captured by the 7 Battn. Q. O. Cameron Highlanders

County Council of Inverness-shire, 6 March 1941 (CI/3/1/62 p443)
"SCRAP - OLD GUNS AT THE CASTLE; That the guns at the castle be handed over to the Ministry of Supply with the exception of the following;-
a) Field gun captured by the 5th Battalion Q. O. Cameron Highlanders
b) Bronze field piece captured by the 7 Battn. Q. O. Cameron Highlanders

Finance Committee of Inverness County Council, 12 June 1941. (CI/3/1/63 p32)
"SCRAP - OLD GUNS AT THE CASTLE; Reference Chairman's Minutes 4 match (p.400) authorising disposal of guns at the Castle, reported that the three guns in question had been sold to Messrs. Williamson & Co., Elgin, for the sum of £25. Approved."

Chairman's Committee of the Inverness County Council , 6 October 1941. (CI/3/1/63 p152)
"SCRAP - OLD GUNS AT THE CASTLE; Reference Minute of 12 June, reported that by an unfortunate error the 7th Battalion gun belonging to the Cameron Highlanders had been taken away by the scrap metal merchants instead of the gun captured by the 1st battalion and that the mistake had been discovered too late to be rectified. Reported also that expression of regret had been sent by Locheil and the County Clerk to Col. Norman MacLeod, through whose good offices the gun had been placed in the custody of the County Council and that he had now suggested that the price received for the gun should be paid over to the Comforts Fund for the Camerons. The Committee unanimously agreed to recommend that the sum referred to should be credited to the Comforts Fund and with regard to the two guns now remaining that they should be placed in the entrance to the County Buildings."

Inverness County Council, 16 October 1941. (CI/3/1/63 p195)
"SCRAP - OLD GUNS AT THE CASTLE; That the sum received for the 7th Battalion gun, disposed of in error, be credited to the Cameron Comforts Fund and that the two guns now remaining be placed in the entrance to the County Buildings."


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

German and Russian Field Guns at Inverness Castle, c1920

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1910s; 1920s

castles; court houses; Flora Macdonald; statues & monuments

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

On the left of this photograph is a German field gun captured by Cameron Highlanders during World War I; on the right is a Russian cannon captured during the siege of Sebastopol during the Crimean War.<br /> <br /> The German gun was captured at the Battle of Loos on 25 September 1915 by 5 Battalion Cameron Highlanders. At the time of writing (2015) it can be seen outside the Clan Cameron Museum at Achnacarry.<br /> <br /> The Russian gun is one of a pair which was given to the town in August 1857. Following the Treaty of Paris, Britain’s share of the spoils from the Siege of Sebastopol was brought to the Royal Armoury at Woolwich and from there around 300 were distributed to towns and cities which desired them (the rest were melted down). An application was made on behalf of Inverness by the MP for Inverness-shire, Henry James Baillie, and in August 1857, the barrels of two slightly damaged 45 pound cannons arrived at Thornbush Quay. On this day in 1861, the carriages on which the guns were originally sited were replaced with purpose-built cast-iron carriages that can be seen in this photograph. They were made by the Rose Street Foundry.<br /> <br /> In 1941, they were sold to a scrap metal merchant from Elgin for the sum of £25 (about £1200 today (2013)). The following are extracts from Inverness-shire County Council Records:<br /> <br /> <b>Chairman's Committee of the Inverness County Council , 12 Dec 1939. (CI/3/1/60 p311)</b><br /> " CASTLE GROUNDS - GUN; The Committee noted and approved the action taken to secure the position of a gun on the castle grounds, which, by reason of disrepair, had become a menace to the safety of people frequenting the grounds. Noted"<br /> <br /> <b>Chairman's Committee of the Inverness County Council , 15 Oct 1940. (CI/3/1/61 p177)</b><br /> "SCRAP - OLD GUNS AT CASTLE; With regard to the old guns in the castle Grounds the Clerk submitted a report on their history by Mr. Murdoch mackintosh, sheriff-clerk.<br /> It was agreed to recommend that meantime no action be taken for their disposal as scrap but that the field gun captured at Loos by the 5th battalion Cameron Highlanders be transferred inside the building and the other German field piece meantime in the entrance hall to the Court-House transferred to the outside"<br /> <br /> <b>Chairman's Committee of the Inverness County Council , 4 March 1941. (CI/3/1/62 p400)</b><br /> "SCRAP - OLD GUNS AT THE CASTLE; Referring to the minute of 15 Oct 1940, submitted letter of 24 January by the Town Clerk enclosing copy of a letter from the Director of Scrap Supplies, Ministry of Supply, regarding the old guns at the Castle constituting a quantity of potential scrap iron and steel.<br /> <br /> Submitted also letter of 15 Feb from the same Department addressed to the County Clerk in similar terms, to which a reply had been sent pointing out that the two old artillery guns are relics of the Crimea war. Submitted further letter of 25 Feb by the Ministry of Supply stating that they do not propose that these two guns should be requisitioned for the national effort meantime.<br /> <br /> The Committee resolved to recommend that the guns at the castle be handed over to the Ministry of Supply with the exception of the following;-<br /> a) Field gun captured by the 5th Battalion Q. O. Cameron Highlanders<br /> b) Bronze field piece captured by the 7 Battn. Q. O. Cameron Highlanders<br /> <br /> <b>County Council of Inverness-shire, 6 March 1941 (CI/3/1/62 p443)</b><br /> "SCRAP - OLD GUNS AT THE CASTLE; That the guns at the castle be handed over to the Ministry of Supply with the exception of the following;-<br /> a) Field gun captured by the 5th Battalion Q. O. Cameron Highlanders<br /> b) Bronze field piece captured by the 7 Battn. Q. O. Cameron Highlanders<br /> <br /> <b>Finance Committee of Inverness County Council, 12 June 1941. (CI/3/1/63 p32)</b><br /> "SCRAP - OLD GUNS AT THE CASTLE; Reference Chairman's Minutes 4 match (p.400) authorising disposal of guns at the Castle, reported that the three guns in question had been sold to Messrs. Williamson & Co., Elgin, for the sum of £25. Approved."<br /> <br /> <b>Chairman's Committee of the Inverness County Council , 6 October 1941. (CI/3/1/63 p152)</b><br /> "SCRAP - OLD GUNS AT THE CASTLE; Reference Minute of 12 June, reported that by an unfortunate error the 7th Battalion gun belonging to the Cameron Highlanders had been taken away by the scrap metal merchants instead of the gun captured by the 1st battalion and that the mistake had been discovered too late to be rectified. Reported also that expression of regret had been sent by Locheil and the County Clerk to Col. Norman MacLeod, through whose good offices the gun had been placed in the custody of the County Council and that he had now suggested that the price received for the gun should be paid over to the Comforts Fund for the Camerons. The Committee unanimously agreed to recommend that the sum referred to should be credited to the Comforts Fund and with regard to the two guns now remaining that they should be placed in the entrance to the County Buildings."<br /> <br /> <b>Inverness County Council, 16 October 1941. (CI/3/1/63 p195)</b><br /> "SCRAP - OLD GUNS AT THE CASTLE; That the sum received for the 7th Battalion gun, disposed of in error, be credited to the Cameron Comforts Fund and that the two guns now remaining be placed in the entrance to the County Buildings." <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.