Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
A82 crossing the canal at 'The Three Merry Boys' inn
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_408
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11369
KEYWORDS
Caledonian Canal
A82 crossing the canal at 'The Three Merry Boys' inn

This photograph is taken from Tomnahurich Cemetery. Crossing the Caledonian Canal is Tomnahurich Bridge which takes the Glenalbyn Road (A82) to Fort William.

The canal was opened in 1822. Poor construction of the lock walls led to reduced efficiency from 1830 until repairs were completed in 1847. The original estimate was £474,531. The final cost was £1,400,000.

For several reasons, the Canal was rarely used to its intended capacity. The many locks and lack of depth, especially in Loch Oich, prohibited its use by larger vessels while the advent of steamships, the increase in coastal lights, and a reduced threat from foreign vessels all, to a certain extent, nullified the original reasons for the Canal's construction. An exception to this came during the two World Wars when its strategic importance was proved


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

A82 crossing the canal at 'The Three Merry Boys' inn

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

Caledonian Canal

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

This photograph is taken from Tomnahurich Cemetery. Crossing the Caledonian Canal is Tomnahurich Bridge which takes the Glenalbyn Road (A82) to Fort William.<br /> <br /> The canal was opened in 1822. Poor construction of the lock walls led to reduced efficiency from 1830 until repairs were completed in 1847. The original estimate was £474,531. The final cost was £1,400,000.<br /> <br /> For several reasons, the Canal was rarely used to its intended capacity. The many locks and lack of depth, especially in Loch Oich, prohibited its use by larger vessels while the advent of steamships, the increase in coastal lights, and a reduced threat from foreign vessels all, to a certain extent, nullified the original reasons for the Canal's construction. An exception to this came during the two World Wars when its strategic importance was proved <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.