Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inverness Field Club aboard 'Glengarry'
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_414
PLACENAME
Loch Ness
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Urquhart and Glenmoriston
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11377
KEYWORDS
Inverness Field Club
ferries
Caledonian MacBrayne
ferry boats
Inverness Field Club aboard 'Glengarry'

A short lecture series on the Geology of Scotland was delivered by Professor Young of Glasgow University in November 1875 in the Music Hall, Union Street, Inverness. This was received with such enthusiasm that an expedition, under his leadership, was made to Abriachan to research the geology of that area. Less than a fortnight later discussions were under way with a view to establishing a scientific society and field club to investigate the geology, natural history, botany and archaeology of the surrounding area. The organisation was formally founded on 8 December 1875 in the Waverley Hotel and held its first public meeting in the Town Hall on 11 January 1876.

This picture shows Field Club members aboard 'Glengarry' on Loch Ness


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverness Field Club aboard 'Glengarry'

INVERNESS: Urquhart and Glenmoriston

Inverness Field Club; ferries; Caledonian MacBrayne; ferry boats

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

A short lecture series on the Geology of Scotland was delivered by Professor Young of Glasgow University in November 1875 in the Music Hall, Union Street, Inverness. This was received with such enthusiasm that an expedition, under his leadership, was made to Abriachan to research the geology of that area. Less than a fortnight later discussions were under way with a view to establishing a scientific society and field club to investigate the geology, natural history, botany and archaeology of the surrounding area. The organisation was formally founded on 8 December 1875 in the Waverley Hotel and held its first public meeting in the Town Hall on 11 January 1876.<br /> <br /> This picture shows Field Club members aboard 'Glengarry' on Loch Ness <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.<br />