Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Queen Mary's House, Bridge Street, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_419
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1950s; 1960s
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11381
KEYWORDS
buildings
houses, Mary, Queen of Scots
Queen Mary's House, Bridge Street, Inverness

This house was occupied by Mary, Queen of Scots in 1562 while her army laid siege to the castle. Mary had been refused admission to her castle by Alexander Gordon, the Earl of Huntly's Lieutenant-Governor. With the help of the MacKintoshes and Frasers the castle was taken and Gordon hanged.

The first and second floors were altered by William Inglis of Kingsmills in 1787 though the one-and-a-half metre thick ground-floor walls were retained. From the late eighteenth century the building was occupied by wine and spirit merchants Fraser, Wilson & Co. The building was demolished in 1968 to make way for the offices of the Highlands and Islands Development Board. The vaults of the old house were incorporated into the entrance hall of the new building


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Queen Mary's House, Bridge Street, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1950s; 1960s

buildings; houses, Mary, Queen of Scots

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

This house was occupied by Mary, Queen of Scots in 1562 while her army laid siege to the castle. Mary had been refused admission to her castle by Alexander Gordon, the Earl of Huntly's Lieutenant-Governor. With the help of the MacKintoshes and Frasers the castle was taken and Gordon hanged.<br /> <br /> The first and second floors were altered by William Inglis of Kingsmills in 1787 though the one-and-a-half metre thick ground-floor walls were retained. From the late eighteenth century the building was occupied by wine and spirit merchants Fraser, Wilson & Co. The building was demolished in 1968 to make way for the offices of the Highlands and Islands Development Board. The vaults of the old house were incorporated into the entrance hall of the new building <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.