Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
Engine no. 2, 'Aldourie', at Lochgorm Works, Inverness

Highland Railway engine no. 2, known as 'Aldourie', outside a maintenance shed at Lochgorm Locomotive Works in Inverness. This engine survived until 1899.

The coming of the Railway Age to the Highlands brought an increase in population and trade. The first railway line to open was the Inverness to Nairn route on the 5th November 1855 and further expansion followed swiftly. In 1858, a link with the Great North of Scotland's network was made and the line from Nairn to Keith opened. This was followed by the creation of the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway in 1862 and the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway in 1863.

In July of 1865, the railway companies amalgamated to form the Highland Railway Company with its workshops and headquarters situated in Inverness.The Lochgorm Locomotive workshops, built in 1864, consisted of several different buildings and included machine shops, an erecting shop and a roundhouse, which had a massive turntable to allow engines to be quickly mobilised. The Works produced many steam engines with local names such as 'Clachnacuddin' and 'Strathpeffer'and continued to be the workshops of the Highland Railway until 1923, when the company was merged into the London Midland and Scottish Railway


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Engine no. 2, 'Aldourie', at Lochgorm Works, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1890s - 1900s

Highland Railway; Lochgorm Locomotive Works; steam trains; Railway Age; Inverness; roundhouse; workshops; Inverness and Ross-shire Railway; Inverness and Perth Junction Railway; Aldourie; ; London Midland and Scottish Railway

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

Highland Railway engine no. 2, known as 'Aldourie', outside a maintenance shed at Lochgorm Locomotive Works in Inverness. This engine survived until 1899.<br /> <br /> The coming of the Railway Age to the Highlands brought an increase in population and trade. The first railway line to open was the Inverness to Nairn route on the 5th November 1855 and further expansion followed swiftly. In 1858, a link with the Great North of Scotland's network was made and the line from Nairn to Keith opened. This was followed by the creation of the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway in 1862 and the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway in 1863.<br /> <br /> In July of 1865, the railway companies amalgamated to form the Highland Railway Company with its workshops and headquarters situated in Inverness.The Lochgorm Locomotive workshops, built in 1864, consisted of several different buildings and included machine shops, an erecting shop and a roundhouse, which had a massive turntable to allow engines to be quickly mobilised. The Works produced many steam engines with local names such as 'Clachnacuddin' and 'Strathpeffer'and continued to be the workshops of the Highland Railway until 1923, when the company was merged into the London Midland and Scottish Railway <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.