Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Well of the Seven Heads, south of Invergarry
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_714
PLACENAME
Invergarry
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmonivaig
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11442
KEYWORDS
Well of the Seven Heads
Well of the Heads
Invergarry
Colonel MacDonnel of Glengarry
Monuments
Obelisks
Springs
Wells
The Well of the Seven Heads, south of Invergarry

The Well of The Seven Heads can be found 1.8 kilometres south of Invergarry, along the west shore of Loch Oich. Erected by Colonel MacDonnel of Glengarry in 1812, the obelisk which can be seen from the photograph, sits above the well, and commemorates a gruesome past.

In 1663, two sons of the Chief of MacDonnel were murdered during a quarrel with an uncle and his six sons. The murderers' deaths were ordered in vengeance for the crime, and sixty men arrived at the house of the seven, to carry out the execution. Their heads were removed from their bodies and washed in this spring, before being taken to the Chief in Invergarry. Ever since this event, the spring had been known as 'Tobar-nan-ceann', 'The Well of the Heads'.

The Gaelic inscription, seen on the front of the obelisk, tells the story of the well, and on the top of the monument is a sculpture of the seven heads of the murderers


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Well of the Seven Heads, south of Invergarry

INVERNESS: Kilmonivaig

Well of the Seven Heads; Well of the Heads; Invergarry; Colonel MacDonnel of Glengarry; Monuments; Obelisks; Springs; Wells;

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

The Well of The Seven Heads can be found 1.8 kilometres south of Invergarry, along the west shore of Loch Oich. Erected by Colonel MacDonnel of Glengarry in 1812, the obelisk which can be seen from the photograph, sits above the well, and commemorates a gruesome past.<br /> <br /> In 1663, two sons of the Chief of MacDonnel were murdered during a quarrel with an uncle and his six sons. The murderers' deaths were ordered in vengeance for the crime, and sixty men arrived at the house of the seven, to carry out the execution. Their heads were removed from their bodies and washed in this spring, before being taken to the Chief in Invergarry. Ever since this event, the spring had been known as 'Tobar-nan-ceann', 'The Well of the Heads'.<br /> <br /> The Gaelic inscription, seen on the front of the obelisk, tells the story of the well, and on the top of the monument is a sculpture of the seven heads of the murderers <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.<br />