Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Portree, Isle of Skye
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_739
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11459
KEYWORDS
harbours
piers
Portree, Isle of Skye

Portree was originally known as Kiltaraglen (the chapel at the foot of the glen). The visit, in 1540, of James V, heralded a change of name for the township to Port an Righ (King's Harbour). Sgeir Mhor and Vriskaig Point form natural breakwaters in the approaches to Portree's harbour. A crown license for a twice-weekly market was obtained in 1580, thus establishing the settlement as the commercial hub of the island.

From 1826 Portree had weekly steamship services from West Loch Tarbert via Tobermory, Isleornsay and Kyleakin. From 1851, the weekly Glasgow to Stornoway called at the harbour. The 19th century pier was built by Thomas Telford


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Portree, Isle of Skye

INVERNESS: Portree

harbours; piers

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

Portree was originally known as Kiltaraglen (the chapel at the foot of the glen). The visit, in 1540, of James V, heralded a change of name for the township to Port an Righ (King's Harbour). Sgeir Mhor and Vriskaig Point form natural breakwaters in the approaches to Portree's harbour. A crown license for a twice-weekly market was obtained in 1580, thus establishing the settlement as the commercial hub of the island.<br /> <br /> From 1826 Portree had weekly steamship services from West Loch Tarbert via Tobermory, Isleornsay and Kyleakin. From 1851, the weekly Glasgow to Stornoway called at the harbour. The 19th century pier was built by Thomas Telford <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.