Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dunvegan Castle, Isle of Skye
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_740
PLACENAME
Dunvegan
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duirinish
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11461
KEYWORDS
castles
clans
Dunvegan
Dunvegan Castle, Isle of Skye

Dunvegan Castle is the seat of Clan MacLeod. Leod, the clan's founder, either built the structure, or gained it as part of his wife's dowry, in the 13th century.

Bound on three sides by rocky cliffs and the waters of Loch Dunvegan, and protected on the landward side by a deep-cut ditch, the castle was virtually invulnerable to attack. The only entrance was through the ancient sea-gate which faced into the loch. In 1748 the gate was superseded by a bridge spanning the ditch.

The most distinctive structure at Dunvegan is the great keep, which dates back to the 14th century. It was the creation of Malcolm, the 3rd MacLeod chief. At over 15 metres tall and with 3 metre thick walls, the keep served as the dungeon tower and also contained vaulted basements, the great hall, private apartments, and bed chambers. The exterior turrets and observation tower are later additions. The only major repair to the keep has been the tower's re-roofing in 1790.

At the opposite end of the eastern wing is situated the Fairy Tower, built c.1500 by Alasdair Crotach, the 8th chief. This was a purely residential tower. The name Fairy Tower most likely derives from the presence of the Fairy Flag, a relic of the clan's history. At least 1,000 years old, the Fairy Flag is said to be endowed with magical powers that have ensured the MacLeods presence at Dunvegan


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dunvegan Castle, Isle of Skye

INVERNESS: Duirinish

castles; clans; Dunvegan

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

Dunvegan Castle is the seat of Clan MacLeod. Leod, the clan's founder, either built the structure, or gained it as part of his wife's dowry, in the 13th century.<br /> <br /> Bound on three sides by rocky cliffs and the waters of Loch Dunvegan, and protected on the landward side by a deep-cut ditch, the castle was virtually invulnerable to attack. The only entrance was through the ancient sea-gate which faced into the loch. In 1748 the gate was superseded by a bridge spanning the ditch.<br /> <br /> The most distinctive structure at Dunvegan is the great keep, which dates back to the 14th century. It was the creation of Malcolm, the 3rd MacLeod chief. At over 15 metres tall and with 3 metre thick walls, the keep served as the dungeon tower and also contained vaulted basements, the great hall, private apartments, and bed chambers. The exterior turrets and observation tower are later additions. The only major repair to the keep has been the tower's re-roofing in 1790.<br /> <br /> At the opposite end of the eastern wing is situated the Fairy Tower, built c.1500 by Alasdair Crotach, the 8th chief. This was a purely residential tower. The name Fairy Tower most likely derives from the presence of the Fairy Flag, a relic of the clan's history. At least 1,000 years old, the Fairy Flag is said to be endowed with magical powers that have ensured the MacLeods presence at Dunvegan <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.