Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
An inspection of the Wick and Lybster Light Railway
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_741
PLACENAME
Lybster
DISTRICT
Caithness - Southern
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Latheron
DATE OF IMAGE
1903
PERIOD
1900s
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11462
KEYWORDS
railways
railway stations
An inspection of the Wick and Lybster Light Railway

The Wick and Lybster Light Railway opened on 1 July 1903. At a little over 22 km it was the last section of the Highland rail network to open. Over one-third of the capital came from the Government and the Highland Railway Company carried out its work at cost price.

The station at Wick was opened on 28 July 1874 when the final section of the line from Inverness, via Helmsdale, was completed. Intermediate stations were built at Thrumster, Ulbster, Mid Clyth, and Occumster. On 27 January 1936 further stations were opened at Welsh's Crossing, Roster Road and Parkside

The line was closed on 3 April 1944 as a wartime economy and never re-opened


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

An inspection of the Wick and Lybster Light Railway

CAITHNESS: Latheron

1900s

railways; railway stations

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

The Wick and Lybster Light Railway opened on 1 July 1903. At a little over 22 km it was the last section of the Highland rail network to open. Over one-third of the capital came from the Government and the Highland Railway Company carried out its work at cost price.<br /> <br /> The station at Wick was opened on 28 July 1874 when the final section of the line from Inverness, via Helmsdale, was completed. Intermediate stations were built at Thrumster, Ulbster, Mid Clyth, and Occumster. On 27 January 1936 further stations were opened at Welsh's Crossing, Roster Road and Parkside<br /> <br /> The line was closed on 3 April 1944 as a wartime economy and never re-opened <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.