Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
PS 'Gondolier' on the Caledonian Canal
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_742
PLACENAME
Caledonian Canal, Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11463
KEYWORDS
Caledonian Canal
Caledonian MacBrayne
ferries
ferry boats
PS 'Gondolier' on the Caledonian Canal

This steamer plied the Caledonian Canal between Inverness and Banavie for 73 years.

On 13 February 1851 Messrs Burns sold their fleet of West Highland steamships to a partnership of David Hutcheson, who had been managing them for some time, his brother Alexander, and the Messrs Burns' nephew, David MacBrayne. Their fleet comprised eight ocean-going paddle steamers and two track boats on the Crinan Canal.

PS 'Edinburgh Castle' had been plying between Banavie and Inverness, through the Caledonian Canal, since 1847. The popularity of the route led to the introduction of a second ship, PS 'Gondolier', in 1866. Built by Clyde-based shipbuilders, J & G Thomson, she was designed specifically for working in and out of canal locks.

After being withrawn from service at the end of the 1939 season she was taken over by the Admiralty, taken to Scapa Flow and sunk as a blockage to enemy shipping


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

PS 'Gondolier' on the Caledonian Canal

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

Caledonian Canal; Caledonian MacBrayne; ferries; ferry boats

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

This steamer plied the Caledonian Canal between Inverness and Banavie for 73 years. <br /> <br /> On 13 February 1851 Messrs Burns sold their fleet of West Highland steamships to a partnership of David Hutcheson, who had been managing them for some time, his brother Alexander, and the Messrs Burns' nephew, David MacBrayne. Their fleet comprised eight ocean-going paddle steamers and two track boats on the Crinan Canal.<br /> <br /> PS 'Edinburgh Castle' had been plying between Banavie and Inverness, through the Caledonian Canal, since 1847. The popularity of the route led to the introduction of a second ship, PS 'Gondolier', in 1866. Built by Clyde-based shipbuilders, J & G Thomson, she was designed specifically for working in and out of canal locks.<br /> <br /> After being withrawn from service at the end of the 1939 season she was taken over by the Admiralty, taken to Scapa Flow and sunk as a blockage to enemy shipping <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.<br />