Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_743
PLACENAME
Fort Augustus
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11464
KEYWORDS
railways
trains
Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway

Staff and vehicles belonging to the Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway photographed at Fort Augustus station.

The Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway connected Spean Bridge (on the West Highland line) and Fort Augustus. The Act authorising the construction of the railway was passed in 1896 and the line opened for use in July 1903. For the first five years the line was operated by the Highland Railway and from 1908 to its closure in 1947 it was operated by the North British Railway.

The line was intended to be the first part of a rail link between Fort William and Inverness but it got no further than Fort Augustus due to disagreements between the West Highland Railway and the North British Railway on one side and the Highland Railway on the other.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway

INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff

railways; trains

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

Staff and vehicles belonging to the Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway photographed at Fort Augustus station.<br /> <br /> The Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway connected Spean Bridge (on the West Highland line) and Fort Augustus. The Act authorising the construction of the railway was passed in 1896 and the line opened for use in July 1903. For the first five years the line was operated by the Highland Railway and from 1908 to its closure in 1947 it was operated by the North British Railway.<br /> <br /> The line was intended to be the first part of a rail link between Fort William and Inverness but it got no further than Fort Augustus due to disagreements between the West Highland Railway and the North British Railway on one side and the Highland Railway on the other. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.