Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dr. Alexander Ross at an Inverness Field Club outing
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_VII_7011
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11483
KEYWORDS
Dr. Alexander Ross
Inverness Field Club
architiects
Dr. Bell's Institution
Farraline Park
Sir Alexander Matheson
Union Street
Provosts
Dr. Alexander Ross at an Inverness Field Club outing

Dr. Alexander Ross (left) at an Inverness Field Club outing.

Born in Brechen, in the reign of William IV, Alexander Ross came to be known as 'The Christopher Wren of the Highlands', because of his outstanding architectural achievements. At an early age, he came to Inverness with his father, who was also an architect. They lived in Church Street, where his father had his business office. Alexander attended Dr. Bell's Institution in Farraline Park. It is believed that he was an apprentice in his father's architectural firm. When he was 19, his father died, and at the age of 20, he became an architect in the family business.

Several years later, he became factor to the MP for Ardross, Sir Alexander Matheson, who had bought the Muirtown Estates. Alexander Ross became responsible for the development of the area between Muirtown and St. Andrew's Cathedral, as well as the building of Union Street.

In 1881 he became a member of the Town Council, and from 1889-1895 he held the position of Provost.

Dr Ross was responsible for the design of various cinemas, schools, churches and houses throughout the Highlands.

Dr. Alexander Ross died in 1925, after a life of incredible achievement


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dr. Alexander Ross at an Inverness Field Club outing

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

Dr. Alexander Ross; Inverness Field Club; architiects; Dr. Bell's Institution; Farraline Park; Sir Alexander Matheson; Union Street; Provosts

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

Dr. Alexander Ross (left) at an Inverness Field Club outing. <br /> <br /> Born in Brechen, in the reign of William IV, Alexander Ross came to be known as 'The Christopher Wren of the Highlands', because of his outstanding architectural achievements. At an early age, he came to Inverness with his father, who was also an architect. They lived in Church Street, where his father had his business office. Alexander attended Dr. Bell's Institution in Farraline Park. It is believed that he was an apprentice in his father's architectural firm. When he was 19, his father died, and at the age of 20, he became an architect in the family business.<br /> <br /> Several years later, he became factor to the MP for Ardross, Sir Alexander Matheson, who had bought the Muirtown Estates. Alexander Ross became responsible for the development of the area between Muirtown and St. Andrew's Cathedral, as well as the building of Union Street. <br /> <br /> In 1881 he became a member of the Town Council, and from 1889-1895 he held the position of Provost.<br /> <br /> Dr Ross was responsible for the design of various cinemas, schools, churches and houses throughout the Highlands.<br /> <br /> Dr. Alexander Ross died in 1925, after a life of incredible achievement <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.<br />