Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
A view of Station Square, taken from Academy Street in Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_VII_7014
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1890s; 1900s
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11486
KEYWORDS
Cameron monument
Inverness
Station Square
Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders
campaigns
Egypt
Sudan
G. Wade
Station Hotel
Railway Stations
A view of Station Square, taken from Academy Street in Inverness

A view of Station Square, taken from Academy Street in Inverness.

On the left of the picture is the main entrance to the train station, built in 1855, to the designs of Joseph Mitchell. It was demolished in the 1960s. Next to the train station can be seen the Station Hotel, built in the Italianate style and completed in 1859.

In the centre of the square is the Cameron Monument.The statue commemorates the fallen of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders during the campaigns in Egypt and the Sudan in 1882 and 1885. The monument was unveiled by Lochiel, the chief of the clan Cameron and was erected by the 79th Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders. The sculptor was G. Wade of London and the monument shows a Cameron Highlander with a sphinx at his feet


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

A view of Station Square, taken from Academy Street in Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1890s; 1900s

Cameron monument; Inverness; Station Square; Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders; campaigns; Egypt; Sudan; G. Wade; Station Hotel; Railway Stations

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

A view of Station Square, taken from Academy Street in Inverness.<br /> <br /> On the left of the picture is the main entrance to the train station, built in 1855, to the designs of Joseph Mitchell. It was demolished in the 1960s. Next to the train station can be seen the Station Hotel, built in the Italianate style and completed in 1859.<br /> <br /> In the centre of the square is the Cameron Monument.The statue commemorates the fallen of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders during the campaigns in Egypt and the Sudan in 1882 and 1885. The monument was unveiled by Lochiel, the chief of the clan Cameron and was erected by the 79th Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders. The sculptor was G. Wade of London and the monument shows a Cameron Highlander with a sphinx at his feet <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.<br />