Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Station Square, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_VII_7014_RR
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
2008
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Robert Reid
SOURCE
Robert Reid
ASSET ID
11487
KEYWORDS
Cameron monument
Inverness
Station Square
Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders
campaigns
Egypt
Sudan
G. Wade
Station Hotel
Railway Stations
Station Square, Inverness

A view of Station Square, taken from Academy Street in Inverness. Next to the train station can be seen the Station Hotel, built in the Italianate style and completed in 1859. It was renamed the Royal Highland Hotel in May 2000.

In the centre of the square is the Cameron Monument.The statue commemorates the fallen of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders during the campaigns in Egypt and the Sudan in 1882 and 1885. The monument was unveiled by Lochiel, the chief of the clan Cameron and was erected by the 79th Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders. The sculptor was G. Wade of London and the monument shows a Cameron Highlander with a sphinx at his feet

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Station Square, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

2000s

Cameron monument; Inverness; Station Square; Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders; campaigns; Egypt; Sudan; G. Wade; Station Hotel; Railway Stations

Robert Reid

A view of Station Square, taken from Academy Street in Inverness. Next to the train station can be seen the Station Hotel, built in the Italianate style and completed in 1859. It was renamed the Royal Highland Hotel in May 2000.<br /> <br /> In the centre of the square is the Cameron Monument.The statue commemorates the fallen of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders during the campaigns in Egypt and the Sudan in 1882 and 1885. The monument was unveiled by Lochiel, the chief of the clan Cameron and was erected by the 79th Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders. The sculptor was G. Wade of London and the monument shows a Cameron Highlander with a sphinx at his feet