Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kyle of Lochalsh Railway Station
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_X_33
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1890s
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11522
KEYWORDS
Kyle of Lochalsh
Dingwall and Skye Railway
Stromeferry
railway stations
Kyle of Lochalsh Railway Station

Kyle of Lochalsh Railway Station, possibly on the day of the arrival of the first train at Kyle, on the 2nd of November 1897.

The Dingwall and Skye Railway had reached its first terminus at Strome Ferry ten years earlier and a temporary stop was made to the work when the company ran out of funds. This meant that Lochcarron was used as railhead and pier for the Hebrides. The connection from Strome Ferry to Kyle was the most expensive stretch of railway engineering ever to be undertaken at that time, costing £250,000. This was because a large amount of blasting was required to hew out 31 rock cuttings, and also because 29 bridges had to be built. The building of the ten-and-a-half-mile stretch took four years, almost as long as the 53 miles between Dingwall and Strome Ferry.

Before the coming of the railway, there were no more than three houses in Kyle. On the day of the first train, the bay took on the more elaborate name of 'Kyle of Lochalsh', and McBraynes celebrated the occasion by running a passenger boat from Portree. Kyle of Lochalsh grew in prosperity after the opening of the line and today it has a thriving community.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kyle of Lochalsh Railway Station

ROSS: Lochalsh

1890s

Kyle of Lochalsh; Dingwall and Skye Railway; Stromeferry; railway stations

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

Kyle of Lochalsh Railway Station, possibly on the day of the arrival of the first train at Kyle, on the 2nd of November 1897.<br /> <br /> The Dingwall and Skye Railway had reached its first terminus at Strome Ferry ten years earlier and a temporary stop was made to the work when the company ran out of funds. This meant that Lochcarron was used as railhead and pier for the Hebrides. The connection from Strome Ferry to Kyle was the most expensive stretch of railway engineering ever to be undertaken at that time, costing £250,000. This was because a large amount of blasting was required to hew out 31 rock cuttings, and also because 29 bridges had to be built. The building of the ten-and-a-half-mile stretch took four years, almost as long as the 53 miles between Dingwall and Strome Ferry.<br /> <br /> Before the coming of the railway, there were no more than three houses in Kyle. On the day of the first train, the bay took on the more elaborate name of 'Kyle of Lochalsh', and McBraynes celebrated the occasion by running a passenger boat from Portree. Kyle of Lochalsh grew in prosperity after the opening of the line and today it has a thriving community. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.<br />