Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
"Newtonmore Station" by Mairi Hedderwick
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_D1101_2_25_42_09
PLACENAME
Newtonmore
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh
CREATOR
Mairi Hedderwick
SOURCE
Highland Archive Centre
ASSET ID
11550
KEYWORDS
railways
railway stations
"Newtonmore Station" by Mairi Hedderwick

Newtonmore Railway Station was built in 1893, to replace the original station which opened 30 years earlier. It is a large building and reflects the popularity of the village in the Victoria era. Newtonmore is a stop on the main line between Perth and Inverness.

Originally called Stonemuir the name was changed in 1828 to Newtonmore - the town on the moor. At the beginning of the 19th century the biggest cattle markets between Inverness and Falkirk were held here. With Queen Victoria's interest in the Highlands, she had visited and even considered buying nearby Ardverikie, Newtonmore grew as a holiday resort, the large estates providing hunting, shooting and fishing for the gentry.

This work is from a collection of drawings and sketches by the popular writer and illustrator, Mairi Hedderwick. They all have some connection to the village of Newtonmore and many of them also represent the game of shinty. Mairi Hedderwick is best known as the author and illustrator of the much loved Katie Morag series of children's books.

For further information about this item please email the Highland Archive Service

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

"Newtonmore Station" by Mairi Hedderwick

INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh

railways; railway stations

Highland Archive Centre

Mairi Hedderwick Drawings

Newtonmore Railway Station was built in 1893, to replace the original station which opened 30 years earlier. It is a large building and reflects the popularity of the village in the Victoria era. Newtonmore is a stop on the main line between Perth and Inverness.<br /> <br /> Originally called Stonemuir the name was changed in 1828 to Newtonmore - the town on the moor. At the beginning of the 19th century the biggest cattle markets between Inverness and Falkirk were held here. With Queen Victoria's interest in the Highlands, she had visited and even considered buying nearby Ardverikie, Newtonmore grew as a holiday resort, the large estates providing hunting, shooting and fishing for the gentry. <br /> <br /> This work is from a collection of drawings and sketches by the popular writer and illustrator, Mairi Hedderwick. They all have some connection to the village of Newtonmore and many of them also represent the game of shinty. Mairi Hedderwick is best known as the author and illustrator of the much loved Katie Morag series of children's books. <br /> <br /> For further information about this item please <a href="mailto: archives@highlifehighland.com">email</a> the Highland Archive Service