Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Plan of the Harbour of Inverness showing proposed improvement 1846
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_INV_MAPS_006
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1846
PERIOD
1840s
SOURCE
Inverness Museum and Art Gallery
ASSET ID
11601
KEYWORDS
maps
plans
harbours
docks
rivers
industry
engineering

'Plan of the Harbour of Inverness, and part of the River Ness, shewing the proposed improvements thereon, 1846.' James Leslie, engineer.

The first quay was built in Inverness c.1650 at a cost of £300. It allowed vessels of up to 80 tons to dock. A new quay (the 'Citadel' Quay) was begun in 1725 but lack of funds prevented its completion until the 1790s. Improvements were made to both quays in the early 19th century. The Thornbush Quay was added in 1817.

The Inverness Harbour Trust was established by the Inverness Harbour Act (1847). Further improvements, totalling £8,000, were carried out in 1883 which had the effect of increasing the annual dues from £1,000 to nearly £2,000.

20th century developments included a huge increase in cargoes of cement for the North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board and an expansion of oil and petrol storage facilities. Vessels with a draft of up to 6.7 metres are now able to dock.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Plan of the Harbour of Inverness showing proposed improvement 1846

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1840s

maps; plans; harbours; docks; rivers; industry; engineering

Inverness Museum and Art Gallery

'Plan of the Harbour of Inverness, and part of the River Ness, shewing the proposed improvements thereon, 1846.' James Leslie, engineer.<br /> <br /> The first quay was built in Inverness c.1650 at a cost of £300. It allowed vessels of up to 80 tons to dock. A new quay (the 'Citadel' Quay) was begun in 1725 but lack of funds prevented its completion until the 1790s. Improvements were made to both quays in the early 19th century. The Thornbush Quay was added in 1817.<br /> <br /> The Inverness Harbour Trust was established by the Inverness Harbour Act (1847). Further improvements, totalling £8,000, were carried out in 1883 which had the effect of increasing the annual dues from £1,000 to nearly £2,000.<br /> <br /> 20th century developments included a huge increase in cargoes of cement for the North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board and an expansion of oil and petrol storage facilities. Vessels with a draft of up to 6.7 metres are now able to dock.