Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Constructing the railway over Slochd
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_RAILWAYSLIDES_02_441
PLACENAME
Slochd
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus
PERIOD
1890s
SOURCE
Inverness Museum and Art Gallery
ASSET ID
11625
KEYWORDS
railways
trains
transport
signalling
bridges
engineers
HR
Constructing the railway over Slochd

The building of the Highland mainline from Inverness to Perth at Slochd can be seen in this picture.

At 400 metres, Slochd Summit is the second highest place on the Highland Main Line between Inverness and Perth (the Pass of Drumochter is 460 m). A nameboard marks the spot.

Given the height of the summit, pilot engines were required to help pull trains up the inclines so a passing loop was installed to allow these additional locomotives to be detached. This loop was known as Slochd Crossing and was initially controlled by two signal boxes (later by a single box). The crossing was closed in 1963.

The Slochd Viaduct is an eight arch masonry structure which takes the Highland Railway over the River Findhorn, neat the village of Tomatin. It was completed in 1897 by Murdoch Paterson, Chief Engineer to the Highland Railway. It has Grade-B listed status.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Highland Photographic Archive

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Constructing the railway over Slochd

INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus

1890s

railways; trains; transport; signalling; bridges; engineers; HR;

Inverness Museum and Art Gallery

Railway Lantern Slides

The building of the Highland mainline from Inverness to Perth at Slochd can be seen in this picture. <br /> <br /> At 400 metres, Slochd Summit is the second highest place on the Highland Main Line between Inverness and Perth (the Pass of Drumochter is 460 m). A nameboard marks the spot. <br /> <br /> Given the height of the summit, pilot engines were required to help pull trains up the inclines so a passing loop was installed to allow these additional locomotives to be detached. This loop was known as Slochd Crossing and was initially controlled by two signal boxes (later by a single box). The crossing was closed in 1963.<br /> <br /> The Slochd Viaduct is an eight arch masonry structure which takes the Highland Railway over the River Findhorn, neat the village of Tomatin. It was completed in 1897 by Murdoch Paterson, Chief Engineer to the Highland Railway. It has Grade-B listed status. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a><br />