Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Edward VII at Spean Bridge Station, September 1905
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_RAILWAYSLIDES_02_458
PLACENAME
Invergarry
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmonivaig
DATE OF IMAGE
25 September 1905
PERIOD
1900s
SOURCE
Inverness Museum and Art Gallery
ASSET ID
11641
KEYWORDS
railways
trains
transport
disused stations
closed stations
closed railways
closed lines
disused railways
royalty
monarchy
monarchs
Edward VII at Spean Bridge Station, September 1905

This picture shows King Edward VII at Spean Bridge Station during his visit to the Highlands in 1905. The King stayed in the Glenquoich hunting lodge close by on the Glengarry estate.

The Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway connected Spean Bridge (on the West Highland line) and Fort Augustus. The Act authorising the construction of the railway was passed in 1896 and the line opened for use in July 1903. For the first five years the line was operated by the Highland Railway and from 1908 to its closure in 1947 it was operated by the North British Railway. Passenger services ceased in 1933.

The stations on the line were as follows: Spean Bridge (junction with West Highland Railway), Gairlochy, Invergloy Platform, Invergarry, Aberchalder, Fort Augustus and Fort Augustus Pier.

The line was intended to be the first part of a rail link between Fort William and Inverness but it got no further than Fort Augustus due to disagreements between the West Highland Railway and the North British Railway on one side and the Highland Railway on the other.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Highland Photographic Archive

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Edward VII at Spean Bridge Station, September 1905

INVERNESS: Kilmonivaig

1900s

railways; trains; transport; disused stations; closed stations; closed railways; closed lines; disused railways; royalty; monarchy; monarchs;

Inverness Museum and Art Gallery

Railway Lantern Slides

This picture shows King Edward VII at Spean Bridge Station during his visit to the Highlands in 1905. The King stayed in the Glenquoich hunting lodge close by on the Glengarry estate. <br /> <br /> The Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway connected Spean Bridge (on the West Highland line) and Fort Augustus. The Act authorising the construction of the railway was passed in 1896 and the line opened for use in July 1903. For the first five years the line was operated by the Highland Railway and from 1908 to its closure in 1947 it was operated by the North British Railway. Passenger services ceased in 1933.<br /> <br /> The stations on the line were as follows: Spean Bridge (junction with West Highland Railway), Gairlochy, Invergloy Platform, Invergarry, Aberchalder, Fort Augustus and Fort Augustus Pier.<br /> <br /> The line was intended to be the first part of a rail link between Fort William and Inverness but it got no further than Fort Augustus due to disagreements between the West Highland Railway and the North British Railway on one side and the Highland Railway on the other. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a>