Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 126 leaving Inverness for the south
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_RAILWAYSLIDES_02_462
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
SOURCE
Inverness Museum and Art Gallery
ASSET ID
11645
KEYWORDS
railways
trains
transport
locomotives
engines
steam
NB Loco
London Midland & Scottish Railway
Highland Railway
HR 126 leaving Inverness for the south

This photograph shows HR 126 'Loch Tummel' leaving Inverness with a southbound train.

The last class of locomotive designed for the Highland Railway by David Jones was the 4-4-0 'Loch' class. Fifteen were built by Dübs & Co. in Glasgow in 1896 and a further three, with minor alterations, were produced by the North British Locomotive Company in 1917. The first batch was numbered 119 to 133 with the later engines numbered 70 to 72. They were intended to work on express passenger services and all passed into LMS ownership in 1923.

This photograph shows HR 126 'Loch Tummel'. It was numbered 14386 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in August 1938.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Highland Photographic Archive

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 126 leaving Inverness for the south

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

railways; trains; transport; locomotives; engines; steam; NB Loco; London Midland & Scottish Railway; Highland Railway;

Inverness Museum and Art Gallery

Railway Lantern Slides

This photograph shows HR 126 'Loch Tummel' leaving Inverness with a southbound train. <br /> <br /> The last class of locomotive designed for the Highland Railway by David Jones was the 4-4-0 'Loch' class. Fifteen were built by Dübs & Co. in Glasgow in 1896 and a further three, with minor alterations, were produced by the North British Locomotive Company in 1917. The first batch was numbered 119 to 133 with the later engines numbered 70 to 72. They were intended to work on express passenger services and all passed into LMS ownership in 1923.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 126 'Loch Tummel'. It was numbered 14386 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in August 1938. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a><br />