Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 144 'Blair Castle' 'decorated to pull the "Grand Press" tour of the Highlands
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_RAILWAYSLIDES_02_473
PLACENAME
unidentified
DATE OF IMAGE
1906
PERIOD
1900s
SOURCE
Inverness Museum and Art Gallery
ASSET ID
11655
KEYWORDS
railways
trains
transport
locomotives
engines
steam
London Midland & Scottish Railway
HR
HR 144 'Blair Castle' 'decorated to pull the "Grand Press" tour of the Highlands

This photograph shows HR 144 'Blair Castle' decorated to pull the "Further North Grand Express Tour" special. This was a series of special trips in June 1906 for journalists from London.

It was numbered 14679 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in February 1936.

The first incarnation of Highland Railway's 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives were introduced in 1900 by Peter Drummond. The first six (nos. 140 to 145) were built by Dübs of Glasgow and were delivered in June of that year. Four more (nos. 146 to 149), also built by Dübs, were received in July 1902 and a further two (nos. 30 and 35) were built by the North British Locomotive Co. in 1910 and 1911 respectively. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Highland Photographic Archive

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 144 'Blair Castle' 'decorated to pull the "Grand Press" tour of the Highlands

1900s

railways; trains; transport; locomotives; engines; steam; London Midland & Scottish Railway; HR;

Inverness Museum and Art Gallery

Railway Lantern Slides

This photograph shows HR 144 'Blair Castle' decorated to pull the "Further North Grand Express Tour" special. This was a series of special trips in June 1906 for journalists from London. <br /> <br /> It was numbered 14679 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in February 1936.<br /> <br /> The first incarnation of Highland Railway's 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives were introduced in 1900 by Peter Drummond. The first six (nos. 140 to 145) were built by Dübs of Glasgow and were delivered in June of that year. Four more (nos. 146 to 149), also built by Dübs, were received in July 1902 and a further two (nos. 30 and 35) were built by the North British Locomotive Co. in 1910 and 1911 respectively. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a>