Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
'Ben Attow' on the Further North Express
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_RAILWAYSLIDES_02_478
PLACENAME
unidentified
SOURCE
Inverness Museum and Art Gallery
ASSET ID
11660
KEYWORDS
railways
trains
transport
express
locomotives
engines
steam
'Ben Attow' on the Further North Express

This photograph shows HR 7 'Ben Attow' pulling the 'Further North Express'.

Peter Drummond replaced David Jones as the Highland Railway's locomotive superintendent in 1896. The first engine introduced by Drummond was a class of 4-4-0 passenger loco. A total of 20 were built and they are collectively known as the "Small Ben" class.

The first eight (nos. 1 to 8) were received from Dübs & Co. of Glasgow between July 1898 and February 1899. A further batch of nine (nos. 9 to 17) were built at the Highland's own Lochgorm works in Inverness between July 1899 and February 1901. A final batch of three (nos. 38, 41 and 47) were built by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow in 1906. All passed into LMS ownership in 1923 and ten survived into British Rail ownership in 1948. It was withdrawn from service in February 1949. Its LMS number was 14403 and its BR number 54403.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Highland Photographic Archive

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

'Ben Attow' on the Further North Express

railways; trains; transport; express; locomotives; engines; steam;

Inverness Museum and Art Gallery

Railway Lantern Slides

This photograph shows HR 7 'Ben Attow' pulling the 'Further North Express'. <br /> <br /> Peter Drummond replaced David Jones as the Highland Railway's locomotive superintendent in 1896. The first engine introduced by Drummond was a class of 4-4-0 passenger loco. A total of 20 were built and they are collectively known as the "Small Ben" class. <br /> <br /> The first eight (nos. 1 to 8) were received from Dübs & Co. of Glasgow between July 1898 and February 1899. A further batch of nine (nos. 9 to 17) were built at the Highland's own Lochgorm works in Inverness between July 1899 and February 1901. A final batch of three (nos. 38, 41 and 47) were built by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow in 1906. All passed into LMS ownership in 1923 and ten survived into British Rail ownership in 1948. It was withdrawn from service in February 1949. Its LMS number was 14403 and its BR number 54403. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a><br />