Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
'Dunrobin' and saloon ready to be used by the King, 1902
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_RAILWAYSLIDES_02_482
PLACENAME
Dunrobin, Sutherland
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND
DATE OF IMAGE
1902
PERIOD
1900s
SOURCE
Inverness Museum and Art Gallery
ASSET ID
11664
KEYWORDS
railways
trains
transport
locomotives
engines
steam
North Highland Line
royalty
monarchy
Highland Railway
HR
North of England Living Museum
'Dunrobin' and saloon ready to be used by the King, 1902

The Duke of Sutherland's locomotive 'Dunrobin' and saloon ready to be used by the King, 1902.

Dunrobin station in Sutherland opened in November 1870 as part of the Duke of Sutherland's Railway between Golspie, Brora and Helmsdale. The Duke himself - George Sutherland-Leveson-Gower, 3rd Duke of Sutherland - paid to build this railway. This is now part of the Far North Line between Inverness and Wick/Thurso.

This was originally a private station for Dunrobin castle, the Duke's home. The station closed on 29 January 1965 but it was reopened as "Dunrobin Castle" on 30 June 1985. The station is open each year in spring and summer for tourists visiting the castle.

In addition to having their own private station, the Dukes of Sutherland also had their own private train.

The 4th Duke - Cromartie Sutherland-Leveson-Gower - bought a locomotive in 1895 named "Dunrobin" and this was used by the family until around 1920. Among the people who travelled aboard Dunrobin were four kings (Edward VII, George V, George VI, Alfonso King of Spain and Kaiser Wilhelm II) and Winston Churchill.

After more than 20 years in Canada, this locomotive was bought by Beamish Museum in County Durham in 2011 where it will once again pull a train.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Highland Photographic Archive

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

'Dunrobin' and saloon ready to be used by the King, 1902

SUTHERLAND

1900s

railways; trains; transport; locomotives; engines; steam; North Highland Line; royalty; monarchy; Highland Railway; HR; North of England Living Museum;

Inverness Museum and Art Gallery

Railway Lantern Slides

The Duke of Sutherland's locomotive 'Dunrobin' and saloon ready to be used by the King, 1902.<br /> <br /> Dunrobin station in Sutherland opened in November 1870 as part of the Duke of Sutherland's Railway between Golspie, Brora and Helmsdale. The Duke himself - George Sutherland-Leveson-Gower, 3rd Duke of Sutherland - paid to build this railway. This is now part of the Far North Line between Inverness and Wick/Thurso. <br /> <br /> This was originally a private station for Dunrobin castle, the Duke's home. The station closed on 29 January 1965 but it was reopened as "Dunrobin Castle" on 30 June 1985. The station is open each year in spring and summer for tourists visiting the castle. <br /> <br /> In addition to having their own private station, the Dukes of Sutherland also had their own private train.<br /> <br /> The 4th Duke - Cromartie Sutherland-Leveson-Gower - bought a locomotive in 1895 named "Dunrobin" and this was used by the family until around 1920. Among the people who travelled aboard Dunrobin were four kings (Edward VII, George V, George VI, Alfonso King of Spain and Kaiser Wilhelm II) and Winston Churchill.<br /> <br /> After more than 20 years in Canada, this locomotive was bought by Beamish Museum in County Durham in 2011 where it will once again pull a train. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a>