Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 62 "Huntingtower"
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_RAILWAYSLIDES_987_168_7
PLACENAME
unidentified
DATE OF IMAGE
1899
PERIOD
1890s
SOURCE
Inverness Museum and Art Gallery
ASSET ID
11676
KEYWORDS
railways
trains
transport
locomotives
engines
steam
HR 62 "Huntingtower"

William Stroudley was replaced as locomotive superintendent on the Highland Railway in 1870 by his chief assistant, David Jones. The first locomotives to be built to one of Jones' designs were the 4-4-0 'Duke' class which worked on express passenger trains. Ten were built by Dübs of Glasgow in 1874 (numbers 60 to 69) and a further seven were produced in Inverness between 1876 and 1888 (numbers 4, 71 to 75, and 84). These later engines are often referred to as 'Lochgorm Bogies'.

This photograph shows HR 62 'Huntingtower'. Completed in June 1874, it had originally been called 'Perthshire', the first of four names it would bear during its life. It was renamed 'Stemster' in 1889, 'Huntingtower' in 1899 and, finally, 'Aultwharrie' in 1903. It was rebuilt twice, in 1887 and 1899, and was eventually withdrawn from service in August 1908. It was sold the following year.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Highland Photographic Archive

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 62 "Huntingtower"

1890s

railways; trains; transport; locomotives; engines; steam;

Inverness Museum and Art Gallery

Railway Lantern Slides

William Stroudley was replaced as locomotive superintendent on the Highland Railway in 1870 by his chief assistant, David Jones. The first locomotives to be built to one of Jones' designs were the 4-4-0 'Duke' class which worked on express passenger trains. Ten were built by Dübs of Glasgow in 1874 (numbers 60 to 69) and a further seven were produced in Inverness between 1876 and 1888 (numbers 4, 71 to 75, and 84). These later engines are often referred to as 'Lochgorm Bogies'.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 62 'Huntingtower'. Completed in June 1874, it had originally been called 'Perthshire', the first of four names it would bear during its life. It was renamed 'Stemster' in 1889, 'Huntingtower' in 1899 and, finally, 'Aultwharrie' in 1903. It was rebuilt twice, in 1887 and 1899, and was eventually withdrawn from service in August 1908. It was sold the following year. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a>