Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 68 "Muirtown"
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_RAILWAYSLIDES_987_168_8
PLACENAME
unidentified
SOURCE
Inverness Museum and Art Gallery
ASSET ID
11677
KEYWORDS
railways
trains
transport
engines
locomotives
steam
HR 68 "Muirtown"

William Stroudley was replaced as locomotive superintendent on the Highland Railway in 1870 by his chief assistant, David Jones. The first locomotives to be built to one of Jones' designs were the 4-4-0 'Duke' class which worked on express passenger trains. Ten were built by Dübs of Glasgow in 1874 (numbers 60 to 69) and a further seven were produced in Inverness between 1876 and 1888 (numbers 4, 71 to 75, and 84). These later engines are often referred to as 'Lochgorm Bogies'.

This photograph shows HR 68 'Muirtown'. Completed in August 1874, it was originally named 'Caithness-shire'. It was renamed twice, firstly to 'Caithness' and then to 'Muirtown'. It was also rebuilt twice, in February 1888 and September 1898. It was eventually withdrawn from service and sold in 1907.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Highland Photographic Archive

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 68 "Muirtown"

railways; trains; transport; engines; locomotives; steam;

Inverness Museum and Art Gallery

Railway Lantern Slides

William Stroudley was replaced as locomotive superintendent on the Highland Railway in 1870 by his chief assistant, David Jones. The first locomotives to be built to one of Jones' designs were the 4-4-0 'Duke' class which worked on express passenger trains. Ten were built by Dübs of Glasgow in 1874 (numbers 60 to 69) and a further seven were produced in Inverness between 1876 and 1888 (numbers 4, 71 to 75, and 84). These later engines are often referred to as 'Lochgorm Bogies'.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 68 'Muirtown'. Completed in August 1874, it was originally named 'Caithness-shire'. It was renamed twice, firstly to 'Caithness' and then to 'Muirtown'. It was also rebuilt twice, in February 1888 and September 1898. It was eventually withdrawn from service and sold in 1907. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a><br />