Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 69 "Aldourie"
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_RAILWAYSLIDES_987_168_9
PLACENAME
unidentified
PERIOD
1900s
SOURCE
Inverness Museum and Art Gallery
ASSET ID
11678
KEYWORDS
railways
trains
transport
engines
locomotives
steam
HR 69 "Aldourie"

William Stroudley was replaced as locomotive superintendent on the Highland Railway in 1870 by his chief assistant, David Jones. The first locomotives to be built to one of Jones' designs were the 4-4-0 'Duke' class which worked on express passenger trains. Ten were built by Dübs of Glasgow in 1874 (numbers 60 to 69) and a further seven were produced in Inverness between 1876 and 1888 (numbers 4, 71 to 75, and 84). These later engines are often referred to as 'Lochgorm Bogies'.

This photograph shows HR 69 'Aldourie'. Completed in August 1874, it was originally named 'The Lord Provost'. It was renamed twice, firstly to 'Sir James' and then to 'Aldourie' in 1903 (becoming the third HR locomotive to bear that name). It was also rebuilt twice, in August 1888 and August 1898 and was eventually withdrawn from service and sold in 1909.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Highland Photographic Archive

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 69 "Aldourie"

1900s

railways; trains; transport; engines; locomotives; steam;

Inverness Museum and Art Gallery

Railway Lantern Slides

William Stroudley was replaced as locomotive superintendent on the Highland Railway in 1870 by his chief assistant, David Jones. The first locomotives to be built to one of Jones' designs were the 4-4-0 'Duke' class which worked on express passenger trains. Ten were built by Dübs of Glasgow in 1874 (numbers 60 to 69) and a further seven were produced in Inverness between 1876 and 1888 (numbers 4, 71 to 75, and 84). These later engines are often referred to as 'Lochgorm Bogies'.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 69 'Aldourie'. Completed in August 1874, it was originally named 'The Lord Provost'. It was renamed twice, firstly to 'Sir James' and then to 'Aldourie' in 1903 (becoming the third HR locomotive to bear that name). It was also rebuilt twice, in August 1888 and August 1898 and was eventually withdrawn from service and sold in 1909. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a><br />