Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 53 "Lybster"
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_RAILWAYSLIDES_987_168_12
PLACENAME
unidentified
PERIOD
1900s; 1910s
SOURCE
Inverness Museum and Art Gallery
ASSET ID
11681
KEYWORDS
railways
trains
transport
engines
locomotives
steam
London Midland & Scottish Railway
Wick and Lybster Light Railway
light railways
HR 53 "Lybster"

In 1890, to replace the ageing Belladrum class 2-2-2 tank engine 'Strathpeffer' (HR 12), the Highland Railway built a new saddle tank engine at their Lochgorm works in Inverness. It also had a 2-2-2 wheel configuration and was also named 'Strathpeffer'. It was originally numbered 13 but was renumbered 53 in September 1899. It was rebuilt with a new boiler and side tanks in 1901 and renamed 'Lybster' in May 1903 when it was transferred to work on the newly completed Wick to Lybster Railway. It was renumbered again in 1919, this time to 53A, passed into LMS ownership as 15050. It was withdrawn from service in December 1929.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Highland Photographic Archive

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 53 "Lybster"

1900s; 1910s

railways; trains; transport; engines; locomotives; steam; London Midland & Scottish Railway; Wick and Lybster Light Railway; light railways;

Inverness Museum and Art Gallery

Railway Lantern Slides

In 1890, to replace the ageing Belladrum class 2-2-2 tank engine 'Strathpeffer' (HR 12), the Highland Railway built a new saddle tank engine at their Lochgorm works in Inverness. It also had a 2-2-2 wheel configuration and was also named 'Strathpeffer'. It was originally numbered 13 but was renumbered 53 in September 1899. It was rebuilt with a new boiler and side tanks in 1901 and renamed 'Lybster' in May 1903 when it was transferred to work on the newly completed Wick to Lybster Railway. It was renumbered again in 1919, this time to 53A, passed into LMS ownership as 15050. It was withdrawn from service in December 1929. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a><br />