Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 140 'Taymouth Castle'
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_RAILWAYSLIDES_987_168_13
PLACENAME
unidentified
SOURCE
Inverness Museum and Art Gallery
ASSET ID
11682
KEYWORDS
railways
trains
transport
engines
locomotives
steam
London Midland & Scottish Railway
NB Loco
HR 140 'Taymouth Castle'

This picture shows HR 140, 'Taymouth Castle'.

The first incarnation of Highland Railway's 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives were introduced in 1900 by Peter Drummond. The first six (nos. 140 to 145) were built by Dübs of Glasgow and were delivered in June of that year. Four more (nos. 146 to 149), also built by Dübs, were received in July 1902 and a further two (nos. 30 and 35) were built by the North British Locomotive Co. in 1910 and 1911 respectively. All passed into LMS (London Midland & Scottish) ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.

This locomotive was renumbered as 14675 by the LMS and continued in service until withdrawal in August 1939.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Highland Photographic Archive

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 140 'Taymouth Castle'

railways; trains; transport; engines; locomotives; steam; London Midland & Scottish Railway; NB Loco;

Inverness Museum and Art Gallery

Railway Lantern Slides

This picture shows HR 140, 'Taymouth Castle'.<br /> <br /> The first incarnation of Highland Railway's 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives were introduced in 1900 by Peter Drummond. The first six (nos. 140 to 145) were built by Dübs of Glasgow and were delivered in June of that year. Four more (nos. 146 to 149), also built by Dübs, were received in July 1902 and a further two (nos. 30 and 35) were built by the North British Locomotive Co. in 1910 and 1911 respectively. All passed into LMS (London Midland & Scottish) ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.<br /> <br /> This locomotive was renumbered as 14675 by the LMS and continued in service until withdrawal in August 1939. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a><br />