Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 143 'Gordon Castle'
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_RAILWAYSLIDES_987_168_14
PLACENAME
unidentified
SOURCE
Inverness Museum and Art Gallery
ASSET ID
11683
KEYWORDS
railways
trains
transport
engines
locomotives
steam
London Midland & Scottish Railway
NB Loco
HR 143 'Gordon Castle'

This photograph shows HR 143 'Gordon Castle', the second Highland Railway loco to bear that name. It was numbered 14678 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in February 1946.

The first incarnation of Highland Railway's 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives were introduced in 1900 by Peter Drummond. The first six (nos. 140 to 145) were built by Dübs of Glasgow and were delivered in June of that year. Four more (nos. 146 to 149), also built by Dübs, were received in July 1902 and a further two (nos. 30 and 35) were built by the North British Locomotive Co. in 1910 and 1911 respectively. All passed into LMS (London Midland & Scottish Railway) ownership at the time of the Grouping in 1923. All had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Highland Photographic Archive

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 143 'Gordon Castle'

railways; trains; transport; engines; locomotives; steam; London Midland & Scottish Railway; NB Loco;

Inverness Museum and Art Gallery

Railway Lantern Slides

This photograph shows HR 143 'Gordon Castle', the second Highland Railway loco to bear that name. It was numbered 14678 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in February 1946.<br /> <br /> The first incarnation of Highland Railway's 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives were introduced in 1900 by Peter Drummond. The first six (nos. 140 to 145) were built by Dübs of Glasgow and were delivered in June of that year. Four more (nos. 146 to 149), also built by Dübs, were received in July 1902 and a further two (nos. 30 and 35) were built by the North British Locomotive Co. in 1910 and 1911 respectively. All passed into LMS (London Midland & Scottish Railway) ownership at the time of the Grouping in 1923. All had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a><br />