Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Front view of snowplough as fitted to HR 108
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_RAILWAYSLIDES_987_168_17
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS
SOURCE
Inverness Museum and Art Gallery
ASSET ID
11686
KEYWORDS
railways
trains
transport
engines
locomotives
steam
London Midland & Scottish Railway
Glasgow Museum of Transport
Front view of snowplough as fitted to HR 108

This photograph shows HR 108 with a snowplough.

It was numbered 17921 by the LMS following the Grouping and withdrawn from service in November 1930.

It seems that this picture was taken outside Lochgorm works in Inverness.

When the Highland Railway introduced the first of the David Jones-designed 'Big Goods' class in 1894 they were the first locomotives in Britain to have a 4-6-0 wheel arrangement and were also the most powerful mainline engines working in the country. A total of 15 were built by Sharp Stewart & Co. in Glasgow (numbered 103 to 117) and all passed into LMS ownership in 1923. The only surviving Highland Railway locomotive is a member of this class (HR 103) and can be seen in the Riverside Museum in Glasgow.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Highland Photographic Archive

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Front view of snowplough as fitted to HR 108

INVERNESS

railways; trains; transport; engines; locomotives; steam; London Midland & Scottish Railway; Glasgow Museum of Transport;

Inverness Museum and Art Gallery

Railway Lantern Slides

This photograph shows HR 108 with a snowplough. <br /> <br /> It was numbered 17921 by the LMS following the Grouping and withdrawn from service in November 1930.<br /> <br /> It seems that this picture was taken outside Lochgorm works in Inverness. <br /> <br /> When the Highland Railway introduced the first of the David Jones-designed 'Big Goods' class in 1894 they were the first locomotives in Britain to have a 4-6-0 wheel arrangement and were also the most powerful mainline engines working in the country. A total of 15 were built by Sharp Stewart & Co. in Glasgow (numbered 103 to 117) and all passed into LMS ownership in 1923. The only surviving Highland Railway locomotive is a member of this class (HR 103) and can be seen in the Riverside Museum in Glasgow. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a><br />