Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dornoch station and goods shed
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_RAILWAYSLIDES_987_168_23
PLACENAME
Dornoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Dornoch
SOURCE
Inverness Museum and Art Gallery
ASSET ID
11692
KEYWORDS
railways
trains
transport
disused stations
closed stations
closed railways
closed lines
disused railways
light railways
legislation
Dornoch station and goods shed

This picture shows the station and goods shed in Dornoch, Sutherland.

The Dornoch Light Railway opened on 2 July 1902. It was 8 miles in length with stations in at Dornoch, Skelbo, Embo and The Mound with a halt in Cambusavie. The branch-line was connected to the Far North Line (the line to Wick and Thurso) at the Mound. The railway was owned by a private company but was worked on their behalf by the Highland Railway until it was taken over by the LMS (London Midland and Scottish) at the time of the Grouping in 1923. The line to Dornoch closed in 1960.

This railway was built under the Light Railways Act 1896, an act which aimed to expand the rail network in rural areas through make it easier and less expensive to build new railways.

Three railways were built in the Highlands under this legislation: The Dornoch Light Railway in Sutherland (1902-1960), the Wick and Lybster Railway in Caithness (1903-1944) and the Campbeltown and Machrihanish Light Railway in Argyll (1906-1931).


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Highland Photographic Archive

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dornoch station and goods shed

SUTHERLAND: Dornoch

railways; trains; transport; disused stations; closed stations; closed railways; closed lines; disused railways; light railways; legislation;

Inverness Museum and Art Gallery

Railway Lantern Slides

This picture shows the station and goods shed in Dornoch, Sutherland. <br /> <br /> The Dornoch Light Railway opened on 2 July 1902. It was 8 miles in length with stations in at Dornoch, Skelbo, Embo and The Mound with a halt in Cambusavie. The branch-line was connected to the Far North Line (the line to Wick and Thurso) at the Mound. The railway was owned by a private company but was worked on their behalf by the Highland Railway until it was taken over by the LMS (London Midland and Scottish) at the time of the Grouping in 1923. The line to Dornoch closed in 1960. <br /> <br /> This railway was built under the Light Railways Act 1896, an act which aimed to expand the rail network in rural areas through make it easier and less expensive to build new railways. <br /> <br /> Three railways were built in the Highlands under this legislation: The Dornoch Light Railway in Sutherland (1902-1960), the Wick and Lybster Railway in Caithness (1903-1944) and the Campbeltown and Machrihanish Light Railway in Argyll (1906-1931). <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a><br />