Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 56 'Dornoch' outside Dornoch shed
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_RAILWAYSLIDES_987_168_24
PLACENAME
Dornoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Dornoch
PERIOD
1900s; 1910s
SOURCE
Inverness Museum and Art Gallery
ASSET ID
11693
KEYWORDS
railways
trains
transport
disused stations
closed stations
closed railways
closed lines
disused railways
light railways
legislation
locomotives
engines
London Midland & Scottish railway
HR 56 'Dornoch' outside Dornoch shed

This photograph shows HR 56 'Dornoch' outside the shed at Dornoch.

The first locomotives to be built at the Highland Railway's Lochgorm works in Inverness were three 0-6-0 saddletanks. It was the only new design of locomotive brought in during William Stroudley's spell as the company's locomotive superintendent. Only three engines were built. They are considered to be the forerunner of the London Brighton & South Coast Railway's A1, or 'Terrier', class of tank engine.

HR 56 'Dornoch' was the first of the Lochgorm class to be built, in April 1869. Originally named 'Balnain', it was rebuilt in February 1896 and renamed 'Dornoch' in 1902 when it became the locomotive to work on the Dornoch Light Railway.

In the last years of its life it underwent several changes of number: to 56A in July 1919, back to 56 in September 1919, to 56A again in July 1921 and 56B in May 1922. After the grouping it became LMS 16118.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Highland Photographic Archive

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 56 'Dornoch' outside Dornoch shed

SUTHERLAND: Dornoch

1900s; 1910s

railways; trains; transport; disused stations; closed stations; closed railways; closed lines; disused railways; light railways; legislation; locomotives; engines; London Midland & Scottish railway;

Inverness Museum and Art Gallery

Railway Lantern Slides

This photograph shows HR 56 'Dornoch' outside the shed at Dornoch.<br /> <br /> The first locomotives to be built at the Highland Railway's Lochgorm works in Inverness were three 0-6-0 saddletanks. It was the only new design of locomotive brought in during William Stroudley's spell as the company's locomotive superintendent. Only three engines were built. They are considered to be the forerunner of the London Brighton & South Coast Railway's A1, or 'Terrier', class of tank engine.<br /> <br /> HR 56 'Dornoch' was the first of the Lochgorm class to be built, in April 1869. Originally named 'Balnain', it was rebuilt in February 1896 and renamed 'Dornoch' in 1902 when it became the locomotive to work on the Dornoch Light Railway.<br /> <br /> In the last years of its life it underwent several changes of number: to 56A in July 1919, back to 56 in September 1919, to 56A again in July 1921 and 56B in May 1922. After the grouping it became LMS 16118. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a><br />