Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
Lybster branch junction with main line from Wick to Georgemas Junction.

This picture shows the junction between the Lybster branch and the Wick-Georgemas Junction mainline.

The Wick and Lybster Railway on the east coast of Caithness opened on 1 July 1903. There were stations in Thrumster, Ulbster, Mid Clyth, Occumster and Lybster in addition to halts at Welsh's Crossing, Roster Road and Parkside.

This rural railway was built under the Light Railways Act 1896, an act which aimed to expand the rail network in rural areas through making it easier and less expensive to build new railways. Lybster was once the third largest herring port in Scotland after Wick and Fraserburgh and the fishing industry was the main reason for the building of the line.

The line was independent but the trains were worked on behalf of the company by the Highland Railway. The railway was taken over by the LMS in 1923. The final trains on the line ran in 1944. Lybster station building is now used by the town's golf club.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Highland Photographic Archive

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Lybster branch junction with main line from Wick to Georgemas Junction.

CAITHNESS: Wick

railways; trains; transport; disused stations; closed stations; closed railways; closed lines; disused railways; light railways; legislation; Far North Line; North Highland Line;

Inverness Museum and Art Gallery

Railway Lantern Slides

This picture shows the junction between the Lybster branch and the Wick-Georgemas Junction mainline.<br /> <br /> The Wick and Lybster Railway on the east coast of Caithness opened on 1 July 1903. There were stations in Thrumster, Ulbster, Mid Clyth, Occumster and Lybster in addition to halts at Welsh's Crossing, Roster Road and Parkside. <br /> <br /> This rural railway was built under the Light Railways Act 1896, an act which aimed to expand the rail network in rural areas through making it easier and less expensive to build new railways. Lybster was once the third largest herring port in Scotland after Wick and Fraserburgh and the fishing industry was the main reason for the building of the line.<br /> <br /> The line was independent but the trains were worked on behalf of the company by the Highland Railway. The railway was taken over by the LMS in 1923. The final trains on the line ran in 1944. Lybster station building is now used by the town's golf club. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a><br />