Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Train headed by No 149 'Duncraig Castle'
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_RAILWAYSLIDES_987_168_38
PLACENAME
unidentified
SOURCE
Inverness Museum and Art Gallery
ASSET ID
11706
KEYWORDS
railways
trains
transport
locomotives
engines
steam
London Midland & Scottish Railway
Train headed by No 149 'Duncraig Castle'

This photograph shows HR 149 'Duncraig Castle'.

The first incarnation of Highland Railway's 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives were introduced in 1900 by Peter Drummond. The first six (nos. 140 to 145) were built by Dübs of Glasgow and were delivered in June of that year. Four more (nos. 146 to 149), also built by Dübs, were received in July 1902 and a further two (nos. 30 and 35) were built by the North British Locomotive Co. in 1910 and 1911 respectively. All passed into LMS (London Midland and Scottish Railway) ownership at the time of the Grouping in 1923 and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.

The locomotive was renumbered as 14684' by the LMS. It was withdrawn from service in January 1940.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Highland Photographic Archive

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Train headed by No 149 'Duncraig Castle'

railways; trains; transport; locomotives; engines; steam; London Midland & Scottish Railway;

Inverness Museum and Art Gallery

Railway Lantern Slides

This photograph shows HR 149 'Duncraig Castle'.<br /> <br /> The first incarnation of Highland Railway's 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives were introduced in 1900 by Peter Drummond. The first six (nos. 140 to 145) were built by Dübs of Glasgow and were delivered in June of that year. Four more (nos. 146 to 149), also built by Dübs, were received in July 1902 and a further two (nos. 30 and 35) were built by the North British Locomotive Co. in 1910 and 1911 respectively. All passed into LMS (London Midland and Scottish Railway) ownership at the time of the Grouping in 1923 and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.<br /> <br /> The locomotive was renumbered as 14684' by the LMS. It was withdrawn from service in January 1940. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a><br />