Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Church Rd., Kyle of Lochalsh
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00022_AT
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
2008
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Andrew Taylor
SOURCE
Andrew Taylor
ASSET ID
11744
KEYWORDS
Church of Scotland
Kyle of Lochalsh
church
Stromeferry
Church Rd., Kyle of Lochalsh

The Church of Scotland, pictured here at the top of the hill on Church Road in Kyle of Lochalsh, was built as a Mission Church and officially opened on the 25th July 1901. The extension of the railway to Kyle from Strome Ferry prompted its construction, as local people foresaw the inevitable increase in population in the village which a railway terminus would create. A Press account of the time describes the church as of ' severely Gothic design, seated for 180 worshippers, faultless and extremely tasteful in every respect'. The Lochalsh Parish minister was responsible for Worship, but was assisted by a series of missionaries until 1939, and rather than building a Manse initially, the missionary rented a house locally until a Mission House was built in 1928. Called 'Ardrae', it is situated on the opposite side of the road from the church and was in use as a manse until 1956 when a house known as 'New Lebanon' was purchased for the purpose. The vestry was added to the right hand side of the church in 1915 at a cost of two hundred and fifty-six pounds, eighteen shillings and a penny.

The house to the left of the church is known as 'Kingillie' and was built for a Mr Macrae, one of three brothers who all built houses in the area. Duncan Macpherson, the Kyle pharmacist who took this photograph, also lived in Church Road on the right near the top of the hill. The Free Presbyterian Church is situated on the right behind the trees.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Church Rd., Kyle of Lochalsh

ROSS: Lochalsh

2000s

Church of Scotland; Kyle of Lochalsh; church; Stromeferry

Andrew Taylor

The Church of Scotland, pictured here at the top of the hill on Church Road in Kyle of Lochalsh, was built as a Mission Church and officially opened on the 25th July 1901. The extension of the railway to Kyle from Strome Ferry prompted its construction, as local people foresaw the inevitable increase in population in the village which a railway terminus would create. A Press account of the time describes the church as of ' severely Gothic design, seated for 180 worshippers, faultless and extremely tasteful in every respect'. The Lochalsh Parish minister was responsible for Worship, but was assisted by a series of missionaries until 1939, and rather than building a Manse initially, the missionary rented a house locally until a Mission House was built in 1928. Called 'Ardrae', it is situated on the opposite side of the road from the church and was in use as a manse until 1956 when a house known as 'New Lebanon' was purchased for the purpose. The vestry was added to the right hand side of the church in 1915 at a cost of two hundred and fifty-six pounds, eighteen shillings and a penny.<br /> <br /> The house to the left of the church is known as 'Kingillie' and was built for a Mr Macrae, one of three brothers who all built houses in the area. Duncan Macpherson, the Kyle pharmacist who took this photograph, also lived in Church Road on the right near the top of the hill. The Free Presbyterian Church is situated on the right behind the trees.