Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Portree Harbour
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00035
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
11759
KEYWORDS
Portree
harbour
Portree Harbour

The harbour was designed by the famous engineer Thomas Telford between 1818 and 1820. Portree grew rapidly thereafter to become the main village in Skye. Portree was originally called Kiltaraglen, but renamed to commemorate the visit of King James V of Scotland in 1540. The row of houses fronting the shore is Beaumont Crescent, a terrace of eight houses built in1839


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Portree Harbour

INVERNESS: Portree

1920s

Portree; harbour

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

The harbour was designed by the famous engineer Thomas Telford between 1818 and 1820. Portree grew rapidly thereafter to become the main village in Skye. Portree was originally called Kiltaraglen, but renamed to commemorate the visit of King James V of Scotland in 1540. The row of houses fronting the shore is Beaumont Crescent, a terrace of eight houses built in1839 <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />