Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Tigh-na-Mara, Glenelg, Kyle
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00037
PLACENAME
Glenelg
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Glenelg
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
11762
KEYWORDS
houses
buildings
architecture
doctors
Tigh-na-Mara, Glenelg, Kyle

This house has been identified as Tigh-na-Mara, Glenelg, Kyle. It was built in 1830 by the Dochfour estate and from 1880 onwards was the home of the local doctor.

The photograph shows Tigh-na-Mara before it was extensively renovated in the 1940s. It was maintained by the Highland Council from 1936 onwards and it was the council who painted the woodwork the regulation green and yellow of all doctors', nurses' and teachers' houses in the Highland area. The house was eventually taken over by the Health Board in 1977. The board added an extension to form the surgery which was used by the Glenelg community until 2002.

Today, Tigh-na-Mara is still owned by a local doctor who is currently in the process of restoring many of the house's original features


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Tigh-na-Mara, Glenelg, Kyle

INVERNESS: Glenelg

1930s

houses; buildings; architecture; doctors

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

This house has been identified as Tigh-na-Mara, Glenelg, Kyle. It was built in 1830 by the Dochfour estate and from 1880 onwards was the home of the local doctor. <br /> <br /> The photograph shows Tigh-na-Mara before it was extensively renovated in the 1940s. It was maintained by the Highland Council from 1936 onwards and it was the council who painted the woodwork the regulation green and yellow of all doctors', nurses' and teachers' houses in the Highland area. The house was eventually taken over by the Health Board in 1977. The board added an extension to form the surgery which was used by the Glenelg community until 2002.<br /> <br /> Today, Tigh-na-Mara is still owned by a local doctor who is currently in the process of restoring many of the house's original features <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />