Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
SS 'Claymore' at Kyle pier
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00083
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
11811
KEYWORDS
ship
"Claymore"
Kyle pier
SS 'Claymore' at Kyle pier

SS 'Claymore' was the first ship to be commissioned by David MacBrayne. She was launched in 1881 with a tonnage of 726, and has been described as an attractive and distinctive ship.

SS 'Claymore' was used all-year-round as an all-purpose vessel, mainly on the Glasgow-Stornoway route via Gairloch, Poolewe, Aultbea and Lochinver. From 1918 she concentrated on the Skye and mainland route carrying cargo but was also used for 10-day passenger cruises. She replaced the Sheila for a time when the latter went aground in 1927 but by late 1929 MacBrayne's considered withdrawing the old flagship of their general purpose fleet. She was reprieved for a year and plans drawn up to convert her into a floating hotel. These were abandoned and the ship was sold in 1931 for £75 and scrapped.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

SS 'Claymore' at Kyle pier

ROSS: Lochalsh

1920s

ship; "Claymore"; Kyle pier

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

SS 'Claymore' was the first ship to be commissioned by David MacBrayne. She was launched in 1881 with a tonnage of 726, and has been described as an attractive and distinctive ship. <br /> <br /> SS 'Claymore' was used all-year-round as an all-purpose vessel, mainly on the Glasgow-Stornoway route via Gairloch, Poolewe, Aultbea and Lochinver. From 1918 she concentrated on the Skye and mainland route carrying cargo but was also used for 10-day passenger cruises. She replaced the Sheila for a time when the latter went aground in 1927 but by late 1929 MacBrayne's considered withdrawing the old flagship of their general purpose fleet. She was reprieved for a year and plans drawn up to convert her into a floating hotel. These were abandoned and the ship was sold in 1931 for £75 and scrapped. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />