Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kylerhea Ferry
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00089
PLACENAME
Kylerhea
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Sleat
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
11817
KEYWORDS
ferry
Kylerhea
transport
car
Kylerhea Ferry

The ferry from Kylerhea in Skye to Glenelg on the mainland crosses the Kylerhea Narrows where the two shores are only about 500 metres apart. The tides have immense power due to the constriction of the channel, but at one time hundreds of cattle from Skye and the Western Isles were swum across at the slack tide following the drove road to trysts in the south such as Crieff. The slipways were built by Thomas Telford and the ferry was in frequent use until the railway was built to Kyle in 1897.

The amount of traffic reduced considerably and when the ferry boat was wrecked around 1914, it was not immediately replaced. A car ferry service was introduced in 1930 and there is still a small car ferry here in summer, now transporting 6 cars at a time rather than just 1, for those wishing to cross to Skye avoiding the bridge


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kylerhea Ferry

INVERNESS: Sleat

1930s

ferry; Kylerhea; transport; car

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

The ferry from Kylerhea in Skye to Glenelg on the mainland crosses the Kylerhea Narrows where the two shores are only about 500 metres apart. The tides have immense power due to the constriction of the channel, but at one time hundreds of cattle from Skye and the Western Isles were swum across at the slack tide following the drove road to trysts in the south such as Crieff. The slipways were built by Thomas Telford and the ferry was in frequent use until the railway was built to Kyle in 1897. <br /> <br /> The amount of traffic reduced considerably and when the ferry boat was wrecked around 1914, it was not immediately replaced. A car ferry service was introduced in 1930 and there is still a small car ferry here in summer, now transporting 6 cars at a time rather than just 1, for those wishing to cross to Skye avoiding the bridge <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />