Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Post Office Staff, Kyle of Lochalsh
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00098
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
11826
KEYWORDS
post office
staff
Kyle of Lochalsh
Post Office Staff, Kyle of Lochalsh

In his book 'Gateway to Skye', written some time after this photograph was taken, Duncan Macpherson describes the post office as "part of a somewhat pretentious building which also housed the offices of the Bank of Scotland."

It was at the end of Main Street, close to the trading outlets of the village and on the route to the jetty and the station. The post office was built when Kyle of Lochalsh expanded as a result of the arrival of the railway in 1897, and was particularly busy in summer when there were many tourists in the area.

Macpherson writes, "The postmaster, Mr Ewen Macdonald, was youthful and energetic. His staff consisted of a bevy of bright young women, some with dark hair and others blessed with auburn, copper-coloured or flaming red locks. Who would not have been a postmaster? Is it any wonder that the Post Office was known locally as 'The Harem'"


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Post Office Staff, Kyle of Lochalsh

ROSS: Lochalsh

1930s

post office; staff; Kyle of Lochalsh

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

In his book 'Gateway to Skye', written some time after this photograph was taken, Duncan Macpherson describes the post office as "part of a somewhat pretentious building which also housed the offices of the Bank of Scotland."<br /> <br /> It was at the end of Main Street, close to the trading outlets of the village and on the route to the jetty and the station. The post office was built when Kyle of Lochalsh expanded as a result of the arrival of the railway in 1897, and was particularly busy in summer when there were many tourists in the area. <br /> <br /> Macpherson writes, "The postmaster, Mr Ewen Macdonald, was youthful and energetic. His staff consisted of a bevy of bright young women, some with dark hair and others blessed with auburn, copper-coloured or flaming red locks. Who would not have been a postmaster? Is it any wonder that the Post Office was known locally as 'The Harem'" <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />