Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Glenelg
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00104
PLACENAME
Glenelg
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Glenelg
PERIOD
1920s; 1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
11832
KEYWORDS
Glenelg
village
bay
Glenelg

Glenelg is a small village on the shore of Glenelg Bay, looking across to the Isle of Skye. It is bound on three sides by sea - Loch Duich, the Sound of Sleat and Loch Hourn - and has only one access road over Mam Ratagan from Glen Shiel. Known until the 18th century as Kirkton, the village grew up round a parish church, and expanded with the arrival of the army and the building of the Bernera Barracks in 1717. The village is well-known as the location of two well-preserved Iron Age brochs, and was once the main crossing point for cattle droves from Skye to the mainland. A small ferry still plies the route during the summer months. The photographer Duncan Macpherson describes in his books many visits to Glenelg, his father's birthplace, and calls the site of the original home in Altmor 'a wonderful setting'


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Glenelg

INVERNESS: Glenelg

1920s; 1930s

Glenelg; village; bay

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

Glenelg is a small village on the shore of Glenelg Bay, looking across to the Isle of Skye. It is bound on three sides by sea - Loch Duich, the Sound of Sleat and Loch Hourn - and has only one access road over Mam Ratagan from Glen Shiel. Known until the 18th century as Kirkton, the village grew up round a parish church, and expanded with the arrival of the army and the building of the Bernera Barracks in 1717. The village is well-known as the location of two well-preserved Iron Age brochs, and was once the main crossing point for cattle droves from Skye to the mainland. A small ferry still plies the route during the summer months. The photographer Duncan Macpherson describes in his books many visits to Glenelg, his father's birthplace, and calls the site of the original home in Altmor 'a wonderful setting' <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />