Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dunvegan Castle
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00131
PLACENAME
Dunvegan
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duirinish
PERIOD
1920s; 1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
11858
KEYWORDS
castle
Dunvegan
cars
Dunvegan Castle

Dunvegan Castle is situated on a rocky promontory jutting into Loch Dunvegan, on Skye. It has been the home of the MacLeods since the 13th century, although they were first named in an official document of 1439, as "of Dunvegan". The castle is believed to have been continuously occupied by the same family since then, longer than any other Scottish castle. Parts of the castle date from the 13th century, the keep with dungeon from the 14th, and parts from the 18th century. More recently, the whole building has been harled and castellated. It is now a major tourist attraction on Skye, with the public rooms displaying various clan relics. This photograph shows surface repairs being carried out to the front entrance, alongside which is parked a car or van of the period


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dunvegan Castle

INVERNESS: Duirinish

1920s; 1930s

castle; Dunvegan; cars

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

Dunvegan Castle is situated on a rocky promontory jutting into Loch Dunvegan, on Skye. It has been the home of the MacLeods since the 13th century, although they were first named in an official document of 1439, as "of Dunvegan". The castle is believed to have been continuously occupied by the same family since then, longer than any other Scottish castle. Parts of the castle date from the 13th century, the keep with dungeon from the 14th, and parts from the 18th century. More recently, the whole building has been harled and castellated. It is now a major tourist attraction on Skye, with the public rooms displaying various clan relics. This photograph shows surface repairs being carried out to the front entrance, alongside which is parked a car or van of the period <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>