Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Railway Pier, Kyle of Lochalsh
EXTERNAL ID
HCD00143
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
11870
KEYWORDS
railway
pier
fish trade
railway wagon
advertising
Railway Pier, Kyle of Lochalsh

With the extension of the line from Stromeferry to Kyle of Lochalsh in 1897, the village grew quickly to become a busy port on the west coast. The harbour and station were a hive of activity during the fishing season, with special trains run for the perishable cargo, and a walk round the railway pier proved a never-ending source of interest for Duncan Macpherson, whose pharmacy was a few minutes stroll along the shore path. The station, goods yard, sidings and engine sheds, were all blasted out of solid rock, and space was also found for buildings associated with the fish trade. Those pictured on the west side of the railway station, display adverts for White Horse Whisky, Bovril, Melrose Tea and MacRae and Dick. The railway wagon on the extreme right belongs to London Midland Scottish Railways


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Railway Pier, Kyle of Lochalsh

ROSS: Lochalsh

1920s

railway; pier; fish trade; railway wagon; advertising

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

With the extension of the line from Stromeferry to Kyle of Lochalsh in 1897, the village grew quickly to become a busy port on the west coast. The harbour and station were a hive of activity during the fishing season, with special trains run for the perishable cargo, and a walk round the railway pier proved a never-ending source of interest for Duncan Macpherson, whose pharmacy was a few minutes stroll along the shore path. The station, goods yard, sidings and engine sheds, were all blasted out of solid rock, and space was also found for buildings associated with the fish trade. Those pictured on the west side of the railway station, display adverts for White Horse Whisky, Bovril, Melrose Tea and MacRae and Dick. The railway wagon on the extreme right belongs to London Midland Scottish Railways <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />